Chapter 15

The old man in the second seat stands up and walks to the dais. He is short and thin. His back is stooped and he hobbles as his walks. The man's hair is sparse and white and his wrinkled face is creased in worry. He wears dirty and torn clothes: brown, rough-spun pants and shirt and a red cloth cap on his head. He walks with a heavy, gnarled cane. Stooped and shaking, the old man slowly climbs onto the dais and turns to face the Cat.

"Who are you, grandfather?" the Cat says, his smile kind.

"I am Rumpelstilzchen," the man says in a heavy German accent.

Confused whispers skitter through the crowd.

"Rumpelstilzchen? The imp who can turn straw to gold? The one known as Rumpelstiltskin?" the Cat queries.

"Da. That is me," Rumpelstilzchen says. He leans heavily on his cane. His knees shake slightly. It is obvious to all in the crowd that he is having trouble standing.

Maleficent points her staff towards the dais and a chair emerges behind Rumpelstilzchen.

Slowly sitting, the old man nods towards Maleficent. "Danka," he says.

"Why are you here?" the Cat asks, calling Rumpelstilzchen's attention back to him.

"My son," Rumpelstilzchen says, tears pooling in his eyes. "My son was taken by a sorcerer. I have been searching for him for these last one hundred years." Pulling a kerchief from his pocket, the old man wipes his eyes. "Please help me find him."

Around the dais, faces are drawn with concern. The Godmother clutches at her chest. Tinkerbell hides her face in her hands. Even Maleficent wears a frightened look on her face. Normally, this trial is about revenge. Those present typically hear stories of rape, murder, torture, and fear. But this all happened to adults. When a child is involved, it is different. Those in the crowd do not take the harming of children lightly.

Standing erect, the Cat says, "Please Rumpelstilzchen, tell us what happened."

Taking a deep breath, the old man says, "It began when I met Marta."