CHAPTER 2 - BEST BESTFRIEND

KATE

I thought I'd gone deaf the moment Justin mentioned another girl's name that he started liking. My world fell apart. At that time, I realized that I really love him that much that I was willing to go to school right away and hunt Emily down.

The pain was unbearable, worse than falling down the pyramid that's for sure! You felt something inside you was breaking, but you couldn't phantom where it was coming from, it was all over the place.

You know what's the most painful part of all this? When I started thinking that this could be the moment when we finally confessed our feelings to each other, like I was so convinced that the whole universe was rooting for us, only to find out that he was set to be with someone else.

I was with him for years, and Emily for one month! That's unfair!

I wanted to cry in front of him and blame it on my broken-but-now-healed bone, but good thing I wasn't that crazy and desperate enough to do that.

But I was crazy enough to do a background check about her. Is it just me, or everyone has that sense of urgency to know the girl their special guy is crushing on? I was dying to know what is so special about her and what makes her better than me.

I ditched movie night with Justin because of that. It's just that, I couldn't stand the fact that there was another girl that was better than me for him. It was like he betrayed me, cheated on me even! I hated the fact that he developed admiration to another girl when I was here all along waiting to be noticed by him.

I just can't.

The next day, I didn't waste any time. My plan was to get to the bottom of this and hunt Emily down. But not that catfight kind of hunting, I didn't have any black mailing scheme or threatening skills in me. I might be a crazy woman in love, but I wasn't designed for that. I just want to see her face to face, because honestly, I don't know her at all.

I got a bit pre-occupied that morning because of my friends and classes, of course. It was a bit hard to get out of their clutch even during lunch break. I guess they missed me that much, huh. I did miss them too and wanted to catch up with them but that wasn't the main agenda for today.

I need to find Emily as soon as possible.

"You seem off today, Kate. What happened?" Crystin asked. She is my bestie, well more like my sister. She was the only person who knew about my love for Justin. Actually, she was the one who pointed it out to me that time when I was so damn clueless.

"Emily happened." I answered with an annoyed look. Before she could even ask me to elaborate, I already filled her in. I told her everything that happened, from what Jen observed, my plan to finally get out of that friendzone, and sudden Justin's confession.

"Get the hell out!" She exclaimed. "You have got to be kidding me!"

"I wish I was kidding, Tin. But believe it or not, it really happened. How I wish this is just a nightmare or something. Damn it!"

"What's your plan now? You aren't giving up, are you?"

"Of course not!" I answered right away. "You know what, the most frustrating feeling is, I've been there for Justin all along. I was there for him to cheer him up, support him, I was there when he was down, family problems, team problems, even car problems! But I was gone for a month and he already found someone else?" I bursted out. "I was the one sorting out his Math problems, but how come he didn't develop any feelings for me?"

We were at the field, its physical ed class and of course I was exempted on this.

I know that I shouldn't blame Justin in any way. It was my choice to be there for him, to support and help him. But I'm just not in the mood to take back what I said. I will just reflect on that mistake later.