CHAPTER 6 - AND IT BEGINS

KATE

Chase met me at the parking lot after that crushed and kinda embarrassing moment--both at the lab and library.

I still couldn't believe he saw that vulnerable side of me, to think that we're neither that close nor even that acquainted so much. But I guess, by being 'friends', he would see this side of me even more often.

We went to the same burger place that Justin and I went yesterday, where we saw him and Emily eating.

"Why did we come here?" I asked, finally breaking the ice. We didn't talk that much during the car ride and I was so glad that he understood that silence was my solitude at that time.

The only time the silence broke during that car ride was when he said, "I'm hungry, let's eat." And I wasn't even asked what I wanted to eat or where.

But maybe because my answer would be, anywhere, I don't know, anything is fine. He was probably used to this answer so he would just decide for himself. Out of habit I guess?

Does he do the same thing whenever he's with Emily?

"They have the best burger." He simply answered.

I snorted and remembered the burger I had yesterday, "You were just here yesterday. Besides, I didn't find their burger that good."

"You ordered a wrong one." He turned to the server and ordered on my behalf. My mouth hang open and gave him a questioning look. He just shrugged.

"How--"

I was about to question his actions, but was cut short immediately as if he already knew what I wanted to ask. "You were here with Justin. We actually shared a booth together, remember?" He leaned forward and placed his chin on top of his folded hands.

"Yes, and that was not something I had planned out when I was stalking you and Emily." I confessed. Why wasn't I so surprised when he responded with a laugh? "I guess you didn't expect me to be straightforward, and you thought that I would lie, do you?"

"Not really." He said as he leaned back and crossed his arms. "You've been frank, and even too straightforward when you wanted my help. I guess that's one of the reasons why I agreed to help you."

This time, it was my turn to lean and stare at him, well it's more of a questioning look. "You mean it's not mainly because you realised that you're really in love with Emily?"

"I haven't figured out that yet," He said so simply.

"Then wh—"

"Because you asked."

"Wha—"

"And you cried." He smirked.

"Can you please let me finish my questions first." I talked too fast that there's no way for him to interrupt me again.

He gestured for me to go on, and I did.

"What do you mean you haven't figured it out yet? The goal is to get out of the friendzone, for them to realise that the one they wanted has been by their side all along. That they will finally see us as us, not just best friends, not like sisters or brothers, but as people who are capable of loving them more than that."

Chase was just staring at me, and if I was being honest, I didn't have any clue what his looks meant.

"So?" I urged him to say something.

"I admire your honestly, straightforwardness, and how sure you are of what you want. I'm not like that and it's something I'm trying to work out."

I almost rolled my eyes when we said it. He was brutally honest and downright straightforward. Who is he kidding? But, the fact about being unsure of what he wanted, that tickled my curiosity.