CHAPTER 8 - KEEPING THEM CLOSE

KATE

"Failing Chemistry? Really? You could have thought of a better lie than that." I hissed at Chase while pretending to scribble and listen to the teacher. It was Monday, and my number one agenda was to talk to Chase about what happened last Friday--which almost cost my chance of a romance with Justin.

Weekend flew by quickly and I couldn't believe I wanted Monday to come so soon. It's essential that we formulate the plan, and lies, carefully and articulately. If we wanted this to work, we should be in-sync and sound so believable. I almost screw it last time, it was a good thing that Justin didn't suspect a thing--otherwise everything would be a waste.

What was with Justin anyway thinking that something was up between me and Chase? Like, this was the first time we hangout, and probably the first time he saw us together. Well thinking about it, that did sound suspicious at all. Chase and I should be more careful, and not come off as if we are in a sort of relationship or what.

Before the class began, I spoke with Ms. Corey about having some difficulty with my Chemistry class lately so I need to sit beside Chase, who I said been helping me to catch up with all the lessons I missed, just to make this fascade more realistic. Well on the more truer note, it was mostly incase Justin check-in, or not. Whatever, I just wanted this to look real and credible--yes, I was truly anxious and paranoid. So I have to craft this carefully.

It didn't surprise me when she did what I had suggested, she knew that I take her class so seriously, and that I would do everything so I wouldn't fall behind my lessons. I am her favourite student afterall.

But lessons were out of my agenda for today, we were discussing about the noble gases which I already knew about it since I laid my eyes on the periodic table. They were my favourite elements--so it's definitely okay to miss this one out.

Now back to Chase, who wasn't paying attention as well.

"I could have said the truth you know so we're done with it." He bite back, but in a more humorous tone. But I was far from being humoured. I was about to fire back, but he already beat me again to it. "But it turned out to be okay, right? You now have the reason to talk to me and--" he took a momentarily pause as he stared at me, "to sit beside me in class." He finished off his sentence with a smirk that I wanted to smack off his face.

I tried to kick his shin, but instead, I lost my balance and almost fell off my seat. But Chase's athletic reflex managed to grab me, well more of my cardigan--not even my hands, arms, or elbow, but my cardigan, which prevented me from meeting the floor. 

Though I didn't fall, this noise has gained attention of the class and our teacher. "Kate lost her balance while trying to look what was written on the board." Chase was quick enough to think of an excuse. I almost wanted to thank him for this, but that  idea quickly washed away when he added, "so much dedication to this lecture because she is falling, I mean failing." Again with the mockery and that annoying smirk on his face. 

I wanted to kick him or smack him, but then I remembered the last time I tried to do it, it instantly backfired on me. Karma is really a bitch.

After that short commercial that earned entertainment to the whole class, I refocused my attention back to Chase. "Do you really need to announce the failing? I am top of my Chemistry class you know." I said in a gritted teeth.

"Not for the time being. To make this believable, we have to let everyone know you are indeed failing. Planning is everything." 

At that point, I gave up. He was clearly enjoying every bits of this. I didn't expect him to be this cunning, but at the same time strategical, and too dedicated to help me out. But who am I to complain, right? This was all I wanted.