CHAPTER 5 - FRIENDS

KATE

Friday is cheerleading practice day.

I decided to sit this one out and told them I'd just watch the routine from the bleachers. Being someone who was still recovering from the pyramid fall, they'd totally understood my situation.

Actually, I was feeling well enough to do the routine anyway, it wasn't that hard. But I had something more important in mind. We were practicing alongside the basketball team. Though Justin was playing, in normal days, my eyes would be glued on him, but this was different.

I was focusing on Chase.

I had to think of an opening statement when I got the chance to talk to him, something related to basketball would be great, act friendly as a start, then take it from there.

I still couldn't believe that I'd do this, but I didn't have any choice, right?

Chase was the only person I knew who could help me, and I might be a help for him as well. I remembered the way he smiled at Emily, it could mean something. I was actually holding on to that.

If not, well at least it's worth trying.

Besides, if I got myself in an embarrassing situation, at least I knew he wouldn't rat me out to Justin, unlike Emily.

The chances for the girls to talk is quite higher than the guys.

If I'm wrong, he might just shake this one off.

I refocused my attention back to Chase. As I watch him play, I realized how skilled he was with this. Aside from he was an excellent shooting guard, he was a team player as well—not hogging the ball at all. His footwork was quite impressive, too. I could probably use these compliments later when I talk to him.

Practice finished just like that, I managed to learn something despite just watching the routine, and at the same time, gathered enough information for my conversation starter with Chase.

I must say, a day well spent!

I quickly sent Justin a message that I would be late for like 30 minutes as I need to finish a special homework. I had to remind myself to think of something before we meet.

Friday is bestfriend day. We always go out and eat, even watch a movie, depending on what's on the big screen, and sometimes we just hangout—catch up for what happened during the week, or even share plans for the week after. It was our thing.

So without wasting any time, I immediately hunt Chase down. I might have planned where he would be after the practice. I kind of strategized this already. During Chemistry class, I took his book and intentionally hid it in the lab because we have a major homework for that. He would be back here looking for it if he couldn't find it in his locker. But if not, I might just go to the parking lot and corner him there.

But, as if fate was on my side, Chase was somewhere I'd want him to be—in Chemistry lab.

"Hey!" I said as I entered the room.

He turned to me and frowned. "What are you doing here?"

"I forgot my Chemistry book. Big homework coming up." I reasoned out, good thing I thought of leaving my book behind as well, to have an excuse in case this kind of question would come up. I wouldn't expect him to be friendly, but somehow I kinda did, thankfully I'd stick to my first hunch. "What are you doing here?" I asked innocently.

"Kinda same." He answered while he continued to look for his book.

"Great practice today, by the way." I started, as I pretended to look for my book. He just thanked me for that, nothing more.