CHAPTER 4 - HELP

KATE

"You wouldn't believe what I discovered!" Crystin blurted out the moment I opened the door.

"Hello to you, too." I greeted as I pulled her in. "Can you lower it, please? Justin might hear you." I warned her. She should know that he lived next to my house, and the chances of him hearing this was quite high.

"Oh please, as if he would have a clue. That guy is so naive." She commented with a laugh. I didn't say anything, I actually second what she just said.

She has a point.

We went up to my bedroom straight away, without wasting any time.

My time with Justin at the diner was quick, though I wanted to spend more time with him, I had something more urgent on my plate that I needed to attend to as quickly as possible.

Chase and Emily's relationship was killing me. I would be lying if I say it didn't bother me at all. If my hunch was right, then they might be the solution for my problem.

I immediately sent Crystin a message, to help me dig something about the two. She responded so quickly that I rushed Justin for us to go home right away.

He was suspicious at first, but I told him that Crystin needed me. He didn't say anything after that because he knew that if it's Crystin, better not be involved.

It's an automatic girl thing.

"So?" I started off the moment I closed the door and make sure the blinds to my windows were closed. "What?" I asked Crystin when I saw her raised her brow at my actions. "I'm paranoid that he might hear it."

She rolled her eyes and didn't say anything.

When everything was set and clear, I scooted over the bed and demanded her to spill whatever information she had gathered.

"Okay, your similarities with them are so freaky. They've been bestfriends since kindergarten. Their moms are bestfriends since forever as well, like yours. Both single all their lives. And..." She made a long pause, trying to build a suspense. Before I could even shake all the words out of her, she already continued. "And, they lived next to each other. What are the odds!"

I thought her last statement would be something like, one of them like or in love or anything like that, like same thing that was happening to me and Justin.

"You paused for that last statement? How important is that? Living next to each other is nothing."

"Nothing?" Crystin asked in disbelief. "Did you know that crushing on someone started off because of reliance? The fact that there is someone that you could depend on, someone who is always there for you, and knowing that that someone is so close, just nearby, almost within reach, ready to climb on your window and save you. There are probably 70 percent of people who fell in love with their next door neighbor you know."

I was about to protest and tell her how absurd this was, but... "And oh honey, you're part of the 70 percent." She already made me feel defeated.

"Fine. No need to get so statistical with me, I get it." I laughed at her, when I was about to ask the relevance of this information to my dilemma, it hit me.

Could it be?

Crystin saw the obvious sudden realization on my face that made her respond with, "Exactly the kind of expression I was looking for!"

"Do you think they've develop special feelings for each other?" I asked, she just responded with a shrug.

"Unlike you, Emily doesn't have a Crystin in her life for her to realize her feelings to her best friend. Besides, Chase is this what you see is what you get kind of person. Could be a yes or no, I'm not sure, Kate. Just drop this, I think?"