CHAPTER 3 - BEST FRIENDS FOREVER

KATE

I was still trying to learn more about Chase and Emily's relationship with my awesome detective skills. But, it's so impossible. This girl is on hyper private mode. She didn't even have any other social media platform aside from Facebook.

And Chase.

Oh god, he hasn't posted any since like forever. Aside from it's on a private mode just like his best friend, his profile picture was like taken five years ago. He hasn't been active for a while, or was it because I couldn't access his account? Maybe he posted something, but only his friends can see it?

So, should I add them then?

Isn't it going to be obvious?

I was busy contemplating and torn if I should hit that add friend button. But we're not exactly friends.Chase and I haven't spoken to each other either, though I was part of the cheerleading squad, rooting for their team, I haven't really got the chance to talk to him.

And that hit me. Why is that even possible? Sure he was one of the ace players, but come to think of it, I haven't seen him hangout with Justin's circle of friends.

I wonder why.

I made a side glance at the driver's seat, the captain of the basketball team, my bestfriend—the traitor, the cheater. Yeah, I was still feeling bitter about this situation. He was busy blabbing something, probably about Emily again, but I was too busy stalking his beloved and the bestfriend.

I know I shouldn't be mad at him, it's not as if we have this pact that we'll end up being together if we're still single after high school. He didn't commit anything. And he didn't even, not once, hint that he wanted to level up our friendship.

It was just me. Being delusional and all. But, is it a crime to feel so broken and betrayed? I hate it, I couldn't even get mad at him. I couldn't even ignore him. Just like today, I told him that he should go home first as I need to finish something in the library. When in fact I was only busy stalking Emily.

But to my surprise, he waited for me. He told me, more like insisted, that he will wait for me as he didn't want me to take the school bus and walk because my foot is still recovering.

In normal days, before Emily days, I would feel so ecstatic, this would probably end up in my diary—if I have one. My heart would be leaping with joy, day dreaming about our relationship, relish the idea of us as a couple.

But this time it's different because this is hurting me even more. Every time he would do something so sweet like this, all I could think of is that he is doing this because I'm his best friend. No room for more.

I diverted my attention away from him and looked at the outside window. Why did I even let myself fall for him? I should have been firm with myself. I should have controlled my feelings. I should have thought of him as my brother, like how he sees me as his sister.

Now my thoughts were filled with him again. What was I thinking awhile ago?

"You've been surprisingly quiet today, Kate. Is everything okay?" He asked in his worried tone, the same tone that could melt my icy heart. But, there's nothing to melt for now because it's all shattered and broken. "First day didn't go well?" He added.

We didn't go well. Those were the words I wanted to tell him, but obviously I couldn't.

"Nothing, I'm trying to figure out something." I said casually, but still looking outside.

"Shoot! Maybe it's something I could help you with." He answered enthusiastically.

I couldn't help but laughed out loud at what he said, tears started forming at the corner of my eyes. Oh god if only you knew! I was trying to figure out why you didn't develop any feelings for me. Why we can't be more than friends? Why do you always have to this sweet boyfriend material, yet I can't have you as mine?