ii. | the weirdo on maple street

chapter ii

chapter ii. | the weirdo on maple street
"you're pretty cool too"
══════════════════

        AT SEVEN O'CLOCK ON TUESDAY MORNING, Cassie's alarm clock went off. She groaned, turning it off before slowly sitting up. She had to fix her bike before school because she was sure there was going to be no superhero Jonathan Byers to save her like yesterday morning.

        Once again, she found herself scrambling around her room to get dressed. When she got to the front yard, she huffed as she looked down at the bike. It took almost an hour of prodding and pushing until the rock came loose. Dustin had already gone to school, Cassie sending him on his way when he offered to help.

        Swinging her leg over the side, Cassie started her journey to school. When she arrived, her sunglasses firmly planted on her nose, she locked her bike up on the rack before making her way in. As she walked toward her locker, she rolled her eyes when she saw the group up ahead.

        Steve Harrington stood with Tommy H and Carol, the three cornering Nancy and Barbra. Steve and Nancy had been somewhat going out for a few weeks, and Cassie could already see a difference in Nancy. The five were looking over at Jonathan who was pinning up a 'have you seen me?' sign for Will on the pinboard.

        "Oh God, that's depressing," said Steve, making Cassie roll her eyes as she began to approach them.

        "Should we say something?" asked Nancy naively.

        "I don't think he speaks," Carol answered Nancy.

        "How much you want to bet he killed him?" Tommy asked Steve nastily, smiling.

        "You're a real asshole, Hagan. Any of you say one more word about him and I won't hesitate to punch your teeth in," snarled Cassie as she passed them. "Have a good day, fuckers." 

        Cassie opened her locker, grabbing a Snickers bar out of it. She hadn't had breakfast that morning and she was starving. As the bell went, Jonathan approached Cassie at her locker.

        "Hey," he said. Cassie looked over her sunglasses at him and smiled softly.

        "Hey," she dragged out cheekily, surprised he was talking to her at school. "You okay?" He nodded. She unwrapped the chocolate and took a bite. She quickly finished the mini-sized bar.

        "I see you fixed your bike," he stated awkwardly, making Cassie nod and smile more.

        "Yeah. Spent a whole hour cursing at the thing until the rock just unwedged itself." Jonathan chuckled slightly at her sentence. She took off her sunglasses, tucking them in her pocket. "Did you need something?"

        "Um," he looked around, making sure no one was in earshot. "Do you mind coming with me to my dad's?" Cassie raised her eyebrows. "Hopper thinks that's where Will is, but he won't come out if there's police-"