iii. | holly, jolly

chapter iii

chapter iii. | holly jolly
"why did you take them?"
══════════════════

        WHEN CASSIE GOT HOME ON TUESDAY NIGHT, she crashed immediately, exhausted from her trip with Jonathan during the day and her search party volunteering during the night. That was why she was so grumpy when she heard Dustin get up early in the morning, coincidentally waking her up.

        Pulling on her hoodie, she walked out to the front door where she saw Dustin mounting his bike, his backpack suspiciously full.

        "Going somewhere, adventurer?" she asked, making Dustin turn around, a guilty look on his face. Her arms were crossed over her chest, her eyebrows raised expectantly as she leaned against the doorframe.

        "I'm going over to Mike's," he gulped. She sighed.

        "Dusty, it's," she looked down at her watch, "7:30. Why do you have to be at Mike's so early?"

        "Um, uh, me, Lucas and Mike are riding together to school! Yeah, that's it. We don't want anyone else to go missing," he hurried.

        "Okay," said Cassie sceptically. "Just be careful, okay?" Dustin nodded.

        "Yeah, of course. Bye, love you!" he called, pedalling down the street. She shook her head with a small smile.

        "Idiot," she whispered to herself before returning to her bedroom to get ready for the day.

══════════════════

        When Cassie arrived at school, she almost threw up when she saw Steve Harrington kiss Nancy Wheeler at her locker.

        "Nice hair, Harrington," she said as she passed. "What do you use to get the volume? My dog would really like to know."

        "Real original, Henderson," he called after her, earning him another middle finger.

         Finally making it to her locker, Cassie was surprised to see Jonathan standing there waiting for her. Some people stared at him as they passed, making him curl into himself more. He usually stood a bit hunched and timid, and the staring was not helping.

        "Ignore them," she said, drawing Jonathan's attention from the staring. He watched her open her locker, slamming books inside.

        "It's a bit hard," he replied quietly, readjusting his bag. Cassie looked behind her, glaring at those staring at the pair.

        "What are you looking at?" she yelled at them, making people walk faster.  She turned back to her locker. "They're all bitches, you know that right?" He furrowed his eyebrows at the girl who rummaged around her locker.