i. | madmax

chapter i

chapter i. | madmax
"just a little bit"
══════════════════

        IF YOU WERE TO TELL CASSIE HENDERSON A YEAR AGO that she would be watching her younger brother run around the house looking for arcade money, then she would probably think that her life hadn't changed a bit. Dustin had been running around the house, searching for quarters everywhere. He had finally made it to Cassie's bedroom.

        "Dustin, what the fuck!" she exclaimed as he threw the pillows off her bed.

        "It's an emergency!" he yelled back at her, stripping the quilt off. He scrounged around in her drawers, knocking over pictures of her and Jonathan.

        "What kind of emergency?" she asked him, already knowing what he was looking for.

        "An emergency emergency!" he emphasized.

        "Oh, so it's not just you looking for quarters for the arcade?" she taunted, making him stiffen and stop. "I told you not to spend them all last week!"

        "I tried, Cassie!" he cried, still flipping through her drawers. "I really did." 

        "I don't believe you for a second," she told him, squinting her eyes at him.

        "You have to believe me, Cassie!" he responded, not looking over at her as he continued his search. She sighed and grabbed a few quarters that were lying on her desk. "I tried but Princess Daphne still needed saving and I still haven't beaten that level yet and shit I need to beat Lucas!"

        "Next time," she grabbed his hand and dropped the quarters in it, "try a little harder to save up." Dustin's eyes widened in glee. He smiled up at Cassie before hugging her middle.

       "Thank you, my lord! Oh, thank you! You are the best sister ever!" he told her before running out of her room. She chuckled and rolled her eyes.

        Cassie sighed as she looked at the state of her room. She began cleaning it up, smiling whenever she picked up a picture of her and Jonathan. When she finished, she sat back at her desk and picked up her pencil. She turned back to her work, where she was sketching her nightmares.

        Her art over the past year had followed a specific theme. Nightmares had become more prevalent for her (especially when she wasn't with Jonathan) and the only way she had coped was by drawing it all. Currently, she was working on the horrifying image of the Upside Down and the Demogorgon feeding on the deer.

        The phone in her room rang loudly, making Cassie jump. She walked over to the yellow phone that sat on her bedside table and picked it up.

        "Hello?" she called.

        "Hey, Cass!" came Jonathan's voice from the other side.

        "Hey, Jay," she sighed with a smile, sitting down on her bed. "What's up?"