ix. | steve harrington is an asshole

chapter ix

chapter ix. | steve harrington is an asshole
"alright, that's enough, harrington"
══════════════════

        SNEAKING OUT OF NANCY'S WINDOW had been easier than Cassie had expected. Once the three had dressed, they all agreed they couldn't just leave through the front door. Karen, and Ted for that fact, would have a fit if they saw Nancy come down the stairs with both a boy and Cassie Henderson.

        Cassie had naturally been the last one out of the window (partly because of her leg and partly because she was still debating on running downstairs and stealing some of Karen Wheeler's famous blueberry pancakes). They had gotten into Jonathan's car, and drove down to the Army Supply store.

        The trio walked through the aisles, picking up anything and everything they thought they would need. Nancy collected nails, gasoline and a hammer as Jonathan picked up a gas bottle. The pair got to the end of the aisle, where Cassie held up a bear trap and raised a questioning eyebrow at them.

        They unloaded everything on the counter, the clerk staring at them dumbfounded. Cassie bit at her nails, her anxiety starting to crawl up on her without her cigarettes.

        "And I'll have four boxes of the .38s," Jonathan told the clerk once Nancy had unloaded everything. The clerk grabbed the boxes and put them with the rest of their stuff.

        "What you kids doin' with all this?" the clerk asked. Nancy and Jonathan looked at each other as Cassie stared directly at the man.

        "Monster hunting," she told him nonchalantly, making the clerk let out a scoff.

        The three walked outside the shop, Jonathan and Nancy chuckling to themselves.

        "Monster hunting?" Jonathan asked Cassie, opening the trunk of his car.

        "Isn't that what you told me yesterday?" she replied, putting the heavy gas bottle in. He laughed with her as she leaned against the car.

        "You know, last week," Nancy started, staring up at the sky, "I was shopping for a new top I thought Steve might like." She put the bear trap in the trunk. "It took me and Barb all weekend. It seemed like life or death, you know? And... and now-"

        "You're shopping for bear traps with Jonathan Byers and Cassie Henderson," finished Jonathan.

        "Yeah," said Nancy as Jonathan closed the trunk.

        "What's the weirdest part?" asked Cassie, her leg bobbing up and down as she picked at her nail. "Us or the bear trap?"

        "You guys," joked Nancy. "It's definitely you two." The three chuckled.

         A car honk made them look over. Reed, a boy the year above them, drove by them.

        "Hey, Nance," he called out. "Can't wait to see your movie." He and the other boy in the car laughed as they drove off.