xi. | cassie henderson has a sister

chapter xi

chapter xi. | cassie henderson has a sister
"it's okay, it's okay, sweetheart"
══════════════════

        CASSIE PACED THE LIVING ROOM FLOOR. Once Mike told them that they were in the old junkyard, Hopper immediately set out to get them. That had been a while ago now, and the sun was almost non-existent.

        "Cass, they're gonna be okay," Jonathan tried to reassure her, sitting on the couch.

        "You don't know that, Jay," she shook her head, still pacing.

        "Cass-"

        "No, Jay," she cut him off. "Those men that are looking for them, they aren't some good-doing government officials. They're bad. Really bad, and they've done some awful things to a lot of people, and I can't let Dustin become one of them!"

        Jonathan stood up and took Cassie's forearms, stopping her. "Let's go to my room, okay?" She nodded and allowed Jonathan to lead her to his room. Cassie sat down on his bed dejectedly, sniffling as she rubbed her left wrist with her thumb. Jonathan sat next to her, waiting for her to begin the conversation.

        "Those men," she began, sniffling. "Uh, those men, made my life hell."

        "What do you mean?" he asked her. She looked over at him.

        "I can't tell you everything right now," she whimpered. "There's so much to explain, and I can't tell you without you knowing everything. But I promise you, once this mess is over, I'll tell you the whole story."

        "This is about your tattoo, isn't it?" he asked, looking for confirmation. She nodded slightly.

        "Yes, and no," she whispered. "The tattoo's only a part of the big picture."

        Jonathan wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her toward him. He rested his forehead against her temple.

        "I promise you, Cass, I'm going to make everything better for you after all of this," he whispered in her ear. She nodded and smiled at him. He smiled back. Cassie watched as Jonathan's eyes flicked down to her lips and then back up to her eyes.

        The sound of tires screeching pulled Cassie and Jonathan out of their small bliss moment. The two ran out of Jonathan's bedroom and out the front door, Joyce already on the patio as Nancy was hugging Mike.

        "Dustin!" yelled Cassie, making the boy turn to her. She sighed in relief. "Holy shit."

        "Cassie!" he yelled back in delight.

        The two siblings ran toward each other and hugged each other tightly. Cassie cradled Dustin's head to her chest, her heartbeat and nerves starting to calm down, now knowing Dustin was safe. His hat had been flung off his head, allowing Cassie to kiss his head.