iii. | the pollywog

chapter iii

chapter iii. | the pollywog
"oh, i love how i've corrupted you"
══════════════════

        THE BYERS HOUSE WAS IN DISARRAY THE NEXT MORNING as everyone searched high and low for Joyce's keys. She often lost them and it would take everyone in the house to find them. Cassie searched the cupboards as Jonathan checked every jacket and Will checked his bag.

        "Jesus," mumbled Joyce from the living room. "Have you seen them?"

        "We're looking, mum," Jonathan reassured her as he walked into the kitchen.

        "Yeah, we're-we're looking," Will backed up Jonathan, putting his bag on the dining table.

        "A-ha!" came Bob's voice from down the hallway. He had stayed over the previous night. Jonathan looked over at Cassie before staring back at Bob. Neither of them had known he had stayed over. "Found 'em." He chuckled as he came strolling into the kitchen. "Hiding under some jeans, sneaky little buggers."

        "Thank you, thank you," Joyce mumbled as she kissed his cheek. "You're a lifesaver." Joyce walked over to the three kids. "Can you guys take Will to school today?" Joyce asked them. "I cannot be late again."

        "He's staying over now?" Jonathan whispered to her, still confused and slightly angry. Cassie sighed.

        "Jonathan," she breathed out in slight scolding and reassurance.

        "Can you just take Will, please?" Joyce asked him, ignoring his question as she slid on her jacket.

        "I can take him," offered Bob. The four looked over at him.

        "Will you make sure he gets in okay?" Joyce asked him, still tentative about the offer. It had always been Jonathan or Joyce that took Will to school.

        "Yeah, of course," smiled Bob. He looked over at Will. "What do you say, big guy? Wanna go for a ride in the Bobmobile?" Cassie stifled her laugh. She walked over to Will and put a hand on his head, making him look up at her.

        "I'll get you a mixtape," she smiled, walking off to Jonathan's room.

        "Thanks, Cassie!" he called out to her. 

        Cassie entered Jonathan's room, his bed messily made as it usually was when Cassie stayed. She found the box labelled Cassie's tapes and opened the lid. Both teens had a dedicated box for the other's tapes in their bedrooms. She searched the box before pulling out her latest The Clash tape. She smiled before putting the box back and then walking out.

        "Cass, let's go!" Jonathan called out from the doorway. "We're gonna be late!"

        "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," she called back. She got to the kitchen where Will was. Cassie got down on one knee in front of him and held the tape up toward him. Will gasped at the name on the tape and took it excitedly. Cassie stood up and reached for her bag. "Have a good day, kiddo!" she said as she ran toward the door.