vii. | jonathan byers cannot shoot

chapter vii

chapter vii. | jonathan byers cannot shoot
"hey dipshits!"
══════════════════

        CASSIE AND NANCY WALKED TOWARD Jonathan at the place they had agreed to meet at the secluded edge of the woods. Jonathan had set up three beer cans on three tree stumps, trying to shoot them down. Nancy had brought a baseball bat as her form of weapon, her backpack on one shoulder. Cassie had swung Dustin's old lacrosse stick over her shoulders, her backpack secure on one shoulder like Nancy. The girls watched as Jonathan missed one shot after another.

        "You are supposed to hit the cans, right?" Cassie asked as the girls approached. Jonathan looked over at them.

        "No, actually, you see the spaces between the cans? I'm aiming for those," he replied sarcastically, making Cassie chuckle. Nancy chucked her bat and backpack behind her as she stood next to Jonathan. "You ever shot a gun before?" he asked Nancy.

        "Have you met my parents?" Nancy scoffed, making Cassie and Jonathan chuckle.

        "Yeah, I haven't shot one since I was ten," said Jonathan, reloading the gun. "My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit." Jonathan was obviously uncomfortable.

        "A rabbit?" Nancy questioned.

        "Yeah," he said. "I guess he thought it would make me into more of a man or something. I cried for a week."

        "And I thought he couldn't get any more psycho," mumbled Cassie.

        "Jesus," exclaimed Nancy.

        "What? I'm a fan of Thumper," Jonathan joked with Nancy. She chuckled, making Cassie's stomach drop.

        "I mean your dad," said Nancy.

        "Yeah," sighed Jonathan. "I guess he and my mother loved each other at some point, but," the gun cocked, "I wasn't around for that part." Nancy put her hand out to take the gun. Jonathan gave her the gun tentatively. "Just, uh, point and shoot."

        "I don't think my parents ever loved each other," Nancy told them.

        "They must've married for some reason," Jonathan said. Nancy raised the gun.

        "My mum was young. My dad was older, but he had a cushy job, money, came from a good family. So they bought a nice house at the end of the cul-de-sac and started their nuclear family."

        "Screw that," Jonathan told her. Nancy breathed out.

        "Yeah," she spoke. "Screw that." She shot, her bullet knocking the middle can over. Nancy and Jonathan looked over at each other and chuckled. Cassie dropped her lacrosse stick and bag behind her, an ugly feeling rising in her stomach.