iv. | will the wise

chapter iv

chapter iv. | will the wise
"trust isn't enough, evidence is a fact"
══════════════════

        CASSIE AND JONATHAN SAT IN HIS CAR WAITING FOR NANCY. Cassie had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, trying to calm herself down. She observed all the houses on Maple Street, knowing that this was a wealthy street. Every family here was well-off and she sort of envied it.

        Cassie watched Nancy approach through the side-view mirror, her overnight bag in hand. Cassie smirked. Nancy opened the back door and slid in.

        "Hey," the pair greeted her.

        "Hey," she greeted back. It was obvious that all three were nervous. "Did you see your mum?"  

        "No," Jonathan replied to Nancy's question. "She was sleeping. But I left a note." The sound of the seatbelt locking rang through the car.

        "You guys don't have to do this, you know," Nancy told them. Cassie groaned.

        "Stop saying that," Jonathan told her. 

        "We're in this together, Nance," Cassie elaborated. "Whether you like it or not." As Jonathan began driving, Cassie passed some of her mum's cookies back to Nancy. "They help with the nerves, trust me," Cassie told her. Nancy took the container gratefully.

        "Thank you," she said. She caught sight of the smoke leaving Cassie's cigarette. "I thought we were done with the cancer sticks."

        "Almost was," Cassie replied. She looked back around to face Nancy, observing her through her sunglasses. "But I think this is an alright situation to have one." Nancy nodded along.

══════════════════

        The three sat on a bench in the park, Cassie between Jonathan and Nancy. Cassie's leg bobbed up and down as she took the last few puffs of her cigarette. Jonathan kept looking around, anxiously waiting for Mrs Holland to arrive. Cassie slid her sunglasses to the top of her head to look over at Nancy's watch with her.

        "It's 15 past," Nancy mumbled to them, informing them of the time. Cassie blew out a breath.

        "Yeah, I know," Jonathan said, his legs going up and down like Cassie's. "Just, give 'em time."

        "Where the fuck is she?" Cassie whispered. Jonathan took her hand in his, for both of their comforts. They continued to look around for the Hollands. Nancy stared at a man sitting on a bench in the gazebo. He was reading a newspaper and talking to himself.

        "That guy. There," Nancy said, alerting the other two of the man's presence.

        "What?" Jonathan questioned, wondering what was so odd about him.