vi. | the flea and the acrobat

chapter vi

chapter vi. | the flea and the acrobat
"screw him, cass"
══════════════════

        THE SUN HAD SET AS THE TRIO MADE THEIR WAY HOME FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL. Cassie and Jonathan sat in silence in the car, processing the information of the day. A few hours ago, the two were eating grilled cheeses before going to look for caskets for 'Will's' body. But, now they knew that Will could still be alive. 

        "Holy shit," breathed Cassie before she began laughing to herself.

        "What?" asked Jonathan. Cassie shook her head, a smile on her face. "What's so funny?"

        "This is fucking insane," she told him. "All of this is so FUCKING insane!" Her smile dropped as she pounded the dashboard.

        "Yeah," Jonathan agreed lightly. "Yeah, it's fucking insane." Cassie looked over at him.

         "Oh my God. Did Jonathan Byers just swear?" she teased. "Did the Jonathan Byers just say a cuss word?"

         "Yeah, well, I've been spending too much time around you," he joked, making Cassie laugh loudly.

         "You're right about that, Jay," she replied, making him smile at the nickname. "Holy shit. Will has a funeral tomorrow."

        "More like that thing has a funeral tomorrow," mumbled Jonathan. Cassie nodded.

        "I should've known something was weird when Staties found him, brought him in, and did the autopsy," Cassie shook her head. "I should've known. Staties wouldn't have done a thing unless they were trying to cover something up."

        "Yeah, well..." Jonathan trailed off as they pulled up to his house. There was another car there that wasn't Joyce's or Cassie's. "You've got to be kidding me." Jonathan parked and stomped out of the car. Cassie followed behind him quickly. 

        "Is that your dad's car?" she asked him as he stormed up to the front door. Cassie ran to catch up with him. 

        Jonathan opened the door to find his mother and father sitting rather close on the couch. Cassie felt sick to her stomach. When Cassie met Jonathan's dad earlier in the week, the last thing she had told him was 'fuck you, asshole!'. She was really regretting that now.

        "Hey, kid," Lonnie greeted Jonathan, him and Joyce splitting slightly. Cassie spotted the bottle of alcohol on the table. Lonnie looked over at Cassie, who was standing behind Jonathan. "Oh, hello Calli." Cassie looked down.

        "Her name is Cassie," Jonathan told him sternly. "What is this?" he asked them, tears welling in his eyes. Cassie's hand trailed down his right arm before she encased his hand in both of hers.

        "Your dad's, uh, gonna stay here tonight," explained Joyce. "On the couch."

        "Yeah, I'm here as long as you need me, okay?" Lonnie reassured Jonathan, who wasn't looking at him. Instead, his gaze had fixed on a tarp covering the wall. "How are you holding up?"