Chapter 10

Lost Girl

<--Chapter 10--> 

This: *~*~*~* means the beginning of a dream and the end of a dream.

It's been a couple of months since I arrived. Mom got someone to help me learn and control my powers, she called him The Dark One. Controlling my powers is not as hard as I expected it to be, but still, I only knew the basics. I'm starting to learn my way around the castle, after getting lost much too many times and having someone to lead me back to my room. I've also got to get to know Anna better, she's super nice and funny (kind of).

*

Heading to my next lesson with The Dark One, which is every day at three p.m. sharp, I passed a few servants carrying all sorts of things, nodding and smiling them hello, I made my way outside to the garden.

"Ready for your next lesson?" I heard my teacher's high-pitched voice ask me. I turned to see his cloaked figure to my left and nodded in response.

"Today I am going to teach you how to change your surroundings," He began, making his way to me. "And I must say," he stopped, five feet from me. "This is going to be challenging. I do not expect you to excel at doing so on your first try, but please, don't disappoint me."

I rolled my eyes at his comment. "Now, let's begin."

Again, I only nodded.

"I want you to close your eyes and focus," I heard him walk in circles around me as he spoke. "Focus on where you are now, and where you want to be when you open your eyes."

I obeyed him and closed my eyes. I know where I want to be now. I want to be back at my old home, with my old friends. I want to be at the park, in the center of town, where we would get ourselves ice cream and talk for hours.

I focused as hard as I could, remembering every attribute of the place. But when I opened my eyes, I was still in the garden, at the back of the castle, with The Dark One staring at me.

I huffed and tried again. I closed my eyes and focused on the park. But again, I opened my eyes and was still in the garden. I let out a frustrated groan and closed my eyes hard, again, focusing on the park.

"Don't just focus on the place," I heard his high-pitched voice say. "Think of your memories there, of the people, of the smell. Imagine you're there now."

And I did as I was told.

I thought of the way my friend would snort when she laughed, and how embarrassed she was each time she did so. I thought of the smell of hot dogs that surrounded the place, the sound of dogs barking, ducks quacking and shuffling to get themselves cleaned in the pond at the center. I thought of all the trees and blooming flowers.

And this time, when I opened my eyes, I found myself at that exact spot. I looked around, seeing The Dark One in front of me with a proud smirk tugging at his lips.

"Are we truly here?" I asked, shocked by what had just occurred.

"We are, and we are not." I looked at him with a perplexed look, signaling for him to clarify.

"You cannot teleport, so we are not really here. But this is not an illusion." He saw that I still didn't understand, so he continued.

"Think of this as if we are half here. Really, we are still at the castle, although our bodies are here, this," He gestured to the park, "Is your power, engulfing the real reality with a fake one."

"So if I'm getting this right," I said. "We are still at the castle, but with my power, I changed the scenery, so we are at the park back in my old home." I said, hoping I understood correctly.