Chapter 5 - Earth Kills 1/2

It's been a few days since we rescued Jasper, although I'm starting to think everyone who didn't go on that trip is regretting it. Jasper is still in serious pain, we're keeping him in the dropship on a higher level. Clarke is attending to him, as well as Finn and a few others. Everyone around camp is grumpier thanks to Jasper's constant cries of pain. If a grounder was anywhere nearby, we'd be dead meat. It also makes sleeping harder, I can hear it from my spot.

I'm filling up a bucket with water for Jasper's wounds. I can hear constant groaning from Jasper and screams from the delinquents to let him die already. I hear a knife hit a tree and look behind me to see that I'm near Bellamy and Murphy's knife target practice. Murphy had thrown the knife at a target and missed completely.

"That damn kid, always messing with my head." Murphy says.

I scoff and return back to filling my bucket.

"He's not gonna last much longer. Better think of a new excuse." Bellamy says as he throws an ax.

I haven't spoken to Bellamy since we went for Jasper, especially after he got so power hungry with Atom. I hear the ax hit the tree, I flinch.

Bellamy laughs, "That's how it's done."

Just then, Atom and a few others of Bellamy's "guard" come back from patrol. Atom hesitates before speaking, noticing me.

I stand up, finished with filling my water bucket, I walk up to Atom, I look back at Bellamy, smirk.

"Don't worry boys," I say, "I won't interrupt your macho man meetings."

Then I walk past the group, heading back to the wailing Jasper. As I climb up the ladder, I can hear Clarke talking.

"This is infected. He could be septic. What is taking Emery so long?" Clarke asks. "Any progress on using the wristbands to contact the Ark? Monty?"

I enter the level, "Don't worry Clarke, I've got the water."

I place the bucket next to Jasper and sit down, watching Clarke's work. Finn stands leaned against the wall.

Monty sighs before responding, "That would be a firm no."

I can tell by simply looking at Clarke that she knows basic medical work but she's second guessing herself. I have some very basic level experience with covering wounds. If I am able to observe Clarke down here, I could grow.

"My mother would know what to do." Clarke says under her breath.

I almost think about comforting her, until Wells climbs up the ladder.

"How's he doing?" Wells asks.

"How does it look like he's doing, Wells?" Clarke spits back.

I'm impressed that Clarke has fire, I chuckle with a smile as I cross my arms.

Wells looks shocked as well, "Hey, I'm just trying to help."

Jasper keeps groaning.

"Right. You want to help? Hold him down." Clarke informs, "Emery, Finn, you both help."

Monty looks up from his area, "I'm not gonna like this, am I?"

Clarke doesn't respond, instead she grabs a knife and begins cutting. Jasper begins screaming out in pain, it's hard to watch.

"Hold him still. I need to cut away the infected flesh." Clarke instructs as she continues cutting.

A second later, Octavia comes running in, terrified if Jasper's okay.

"Stop it! You're killing him." Octavia screams.

Finn keeps his grip tight as he responds, "She's trying to save his life."