Chapter 25 - We are Grounders Part 2 (2/2)

Bellamy and I are outside the dropship, helping some others place bags to create blindspots. I'm placing a bag when I hear a sound. Everyone at camp can hear it, it's the pounding of a drum, a single beat. I look at Bellamy and we both look at the gate. Another pound. Bellamy and I run over to a foxhole, Bellamy decided to let me join him in the foxholes instead of the dropship, since I have a bow and a gun, I can survive a little longer then others when shooting. 

"Where's Octavia?" Bellamy asks as we positions ourselves.

The pounding of the drums is more frequent now, like it's slowly sequencing into a song. I look at the foxhole group and realize Bellamy is right, Octavia's gone.

"She left 5 minutes ago. Didn't say where to." Miller responds, repositioning his gun, "She thinks she's a damn samurai."

I cock my gun forward, looking for something moving in the distance.

"You see anything?" Bellamy asks the group.

"No." Monroe responds, "What the hell are they waiting for?"

"The longer they wait, the better." Bellamy says.

"Bell's right," I agree, "This is about buying time for Raven."

"I see them. They're moving! I count two, 3, no, wait, there's more. I don't know, man. There's too many of them." Someone barks over the radio, worry lining their tone.

"Who was that?" Bellamy asks us.

"Sounds like Sterling," I say, "South foxhole."

"South foxhole, report now." Bellamy orders into the radio.

It's quiet for a moment, "Yeah, yeah. We're ok. They didn't attack. It's like" Sterling hesitates, "It's like shooting at ghosts."

"He's not wrong," I comment.

There's some shifting up ahead and I focus my gun out. The grounders are running in the distance back and forth, we can only see their silhouette.

"There! I see them!" Monroe announces before beginning to fire.

Miller joins alongside, they're not hitting anyone, the grounders are too fast.

"Stop!" Bellamy orders, as they stop, they hit a grounder, "Stop. Hold your fire! Hold your fire! Reload. Now."

"Those were our last clips," Miller admits.

"We should," Monroe hesitates, "We should fall back."

"No. If this position falls, they'll walk right to the front door." Bellamy says.

"What they don't know," I begin, "Won't hurt them."

"I don't see anyone. They're too fast." Someone says over the radio.

"I hit, I hit them," Someone else says, "I think I hit them."

"They're everywhere! Harper, get down! We need backup!" Jasper screams on the radio, there's an explosion in the distance, "Raven, our mines actually worked!"

The grounders keep running around, the pattern is weird.

"Jasper, we need you in the dropship right now." Clarke orders on the radio.

"Negative. We can't give up the west woods." Bellamy responds back.

"The west woods are mined, Bellamy. The grounders just figured that out." Clarke continues, "Jasper, get in here."

"All gunners, listen up." Jasper begins, Bellamy tries to fire, failing to hit a grounder, "The grounders are not attacking. They're making us waste bullets. Don't shoot when they're running laterally."