8: U.A Examination

note: meet our new editor, Ryn (in Quotev!). Since your author right here is always sleep-deprived, he definitely needs someone who can check if he made spelling mistakes from time to time. So please welcome our savior Editor Ryn!~~

[ Hi,editor here ;) ]

There are no warnings here aside from a long chapter, blood, and chaos?

╒═══════════════════╕

A competitive spirit can
sometimes drive
a person mad

╘═══════════════════╛

Today, the UA Examination is beginning.

You sat in the seats of the Shinkansen bullet train next to Kaibara, whose shoulders drooped as he landed beside you. Underneath his usual lazy-lidded eyes were dark circles, and he stifled a yawn. You can't blame him— both of you had to go two hours earlier than your schedule, since UA is pretty far from Hosu.

But as you stared at Kaibara, a sharp glint quickly flashed in your eyes. "What time did you sleep?"

Kaibara turned to you. He stared with a dull gaze, silently telling you 'You're asking me about that?'

It wasn't a secret that between the two of you, you're the one who can't sleep most of the time. Your sleeping habits only worsened when Shinso started accompanying you via texting each other late at night. But this was your only chance of revenge on this sleepy boy. Call it petty or childish but you need to torment him like how he tormented you about your sleeping habits.

An eye for an eye, they said.

"You're always sleepy even when we trained together, but you rarely get those dark circles under your eyes—" Right on cue, Kaibara tensed at your words. "Except now. Look at that, you have the no-sleep circle under your eyes right now. There's only one reason why that is so."

Your mischievous grin grew wider, to the point Kaibara had to look away while sweating.

"You couldn't sleep early, could you?"

"Why does that matter?" The boy tried to dissuade the topic. He rubbed his eyes, stifling another yawn that came afterwards. "What's done is done, there's nothing else to say."

Your eyes shot wide open. "What do you mean 'there's nothing else to say'?" You tugged on his sleeves but he just averted his eyes. "You scolded me multiple times about my sleeping habits and now that you've done the same thing for the first time, you don't want me to say anything? I think that's really unfair— no. That is definitely unfair. You're biased to yourself and I am calling bullshit."

Kaibara glanced at you from the corner of his eyes. He couldn't stop the smile from spreading on his face. "But I only did it once compared to you," he complained, leaning back onto the soft cushion of the seats.

You deadpanned. "At least I slept very well earlier compared to you."

He sighed once again. "Alright. Fine, you win. I don't know what time I slept but I was pretty up late at night."

You blinked multiple times. "I— wow, you admitted?" Your shoulders drooped, and Kaibara noticed.

"Don't act so disappointed!" he chastised. "Of course I'll admit it. What did you expect, I'll argue with you?"