33: The Point of No Return

warnings: anxiety-inducing scenes (Shigaraki is here), some description of pain, and violence.

╒═══════════════════╕

❝ Beyond a certain point, there is no return.❞

╘═══════════════════╛

"How..." you uttered, your voice sounding strange— creaky, like you were a child once again. "How did you..."

How did you remember?

Shigaraki stopped scratching his neck. "How?"

He seemed to enjoy that momentary fear of yours, or anything else that showed your vulnerability, because he didn't tear his eyes away from your figure when you began to croak out those words.

"How, you wonder?" He hummed, and his eyes crinkled, almost as if he was smiling. "It's because of something you don't understand, something beyond your comprehension. Or if we're talking about terms, then it's something like fate, isn't it?"

Your Quirk doesn't involve fate. Which meant that Shigaraki had received something else, one that can easily go against your Quirk of reversing time— something that predicts your movements after a reset.

But what is it? Does that contrasting ability even exist? It's already a miracle that your Quirk had turned out to be like this, but miracles often had a limit to it.

"I thought for a moment I was mistaken," Shigaraki continued, the delight in his voice crawling through your veins like an uninvited snake. "Even Sensei said it must have been a mistake, but it's not. I know it's not, because look at you. Why are you so scared? Aren't you the type to move without hesitation even if you had a chance to get hurt?"

Everything, from your silence to the tensing up of the people around you, only added up to the villain's entertainment. "Could it be that you're starting to feel overwhelmed? Are you finally realizing that the League is far more than just a 'trip with your pinky alone'?" He said it as if he was a child who had won something between the two of you.

.

.

"I said," you repeated firmly, "Considering all the support you get from your master, this is a bit underwhelming compared to what I expected. An infiltration at a secluded location, a bunch of rookie villains who I can easily trip with just my pinky alone, and League of Villains as your group's name? Do you even want to be a villain?"

.

.

He remembered.

He remembered, he remembered, he remembered he remembered he remembered-

No.. no. You can't afford to panic. You have to think. Everything played out the same as it did in the couple of your regressions. The only difference was: you changed your strategy from provoking the Nomu to staying next to Aizawa— and that's how it should have been: you, the only one who changes throughout this journey to death. You, the only unpredictable variant, you.

Now it's not just you: it's Shigaraki, too. And now, his chilling gaze is fixated on you, as if you are a prized possession in his sinister grasp.

As if you had something he needed.

"I've seen what you're capable of," Shigaraki said, low and dark. "All that power, all that chaos you could create. It's not too late, you know. Your fate... I've seen it, and it's not among these so-called heroes, (Y/n)."