𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

"We have a pandemic of childhood trauma."
                                                  - Drew Pinsky

. . .

Well this is interesting.
The entercom had gone off about 3 minutes ago, alerting nurses that it was freetime.

Most of the patients were all out of their rooms.
Some of them had chains on while others had little to no security.

They all looked different from each other, some looked cracked out completely while others looked rather nice.
One thing in common they all wore white shirts and grey sweats with a set of numbers on them.

Most people on my floor had individual numbers, from 700 all the way to around 900 on the back of their baggy short sleeved shirts.
How come I wasn't given any of these clothes?

All I was wearing was an extra large Beatles shirt with no pants, most of my bandages were showing.

I hadn't even walked out of my room yet, Dalila had unlocked my door and waved at me through the glass window a little bit ago.

My introverted ass was too scared to go outside, so I simply just peered at the other patients through it.

"Ma'am?"

I squealed out of surprise as I saw Dalila appear in my sight out of nowhere.
My heart was pounding out of my chest due to the jump scare.

"Are you okay? I didn't mean to scare you!" The woman said with a worried smile plastered on her face.

As I was catching my breath, the door opened with a creak.
Dalila invited herself in with a small giggle.

"Hey Dalila." I muttered as I put my hand on my chest.

"I promise I didn't mean to spook you-" She put her hands up in defense.
"No no it's okay i know that." Reassuring the older lady, I smiled softly at her.

"Why aren't you outside with the others?"

I pressed my lips into a thin line as my hand latched onto my other arm nervously.
She sighed in a calm manner.

"Cmon, you don't have to have to interact with any of them. Let's go talk with the other nurses!" She was at my side at once, clearly not taking no for an answer.

"I still don't have my crutches though-"I looked up at her, she was a lot taller than me, especially in her heels.

"No biggie, I'll just help you down the stairs." She smiled brightly at me, her hand meeting my waist.

A small peep exited my mouth as she helped me limp out the door.
I've always been extremely sensitive, my waist the most sensitive part of all.

Almost all of the patients outside my door snapped their heads my way.
I don't blame them, I'm the newest patient and I don't look like any of them.

I'm not even wearing their clothing. Of course I stick out like a sore thumb.

"Don't mind their stares, you're just pretty is all." Dalila giggled beside me.
I looked at her, her light brown eyes gazing into mine as she smiled brightly.

If anyone's the pretty one, it's her.

"No need to lie to me, it's more like they should be staring at you." I replied, bumping her hip with mine in a teasing way.

She gasped dramatically, "I am not lying! You must be blind if you think you're not."
Her angelic voice made her praise seem like a miracle from god.

Obviously still not believing her, I rolled my eyes as we continued to limp down the hallway.
I would rather not hobble through all these people but oh well.

As soon as we reached the stairs my body relaxed knowing that the eyes were off me.
"You really don't like people do you?-"

I heard Dalila's voice speak to me, it didn't register in my brain for a second.
Huh?- Oh.

"Well.. I like you and Sam. Other than that, not really." I replied to her question as we slowly made our way down the flights of stairs.

"Where are we going again?"

"We're going to the front desk, and who is Sam?" She asked again, carefully lifting my side every step she took. Man, she is stronger than I thought.

"Ya know, Dr. Loomis." I said.

"Ohhh- He lets you call him by his name? You really are on everyone's good side huh?"
 She smiled, flashing her pearly whites.

A confused expression grew very visible on my face."What do you mean everyone's good side? Is there a reason why you all treat me so different?"

As she continued to look forward, obviously focused on getting me down the stairs, she presumed on what she was saying.

"There's a few reasons you could say.." She stated before continuing, "One, You're not an actual patient here. You're being held here because the law and state thinks you should be. So automatically we do not treat you as a patient, but rather a roommate."

That only halfway made sense if I'm completely honest.

"Second, your case is very interesting. I've dealt with Dissociative Identity Disorder's before, but not with someone that can be so.. dangerous. It's exciting."

I don't know if i should take that as a compliment or offensively.

"So you're using my disorder for your own entertainment?"
I raised my eyebrows as I looked at her.

Her movement slowed down a whole lot.

"No no! Absolutely not! I didn't mean it like that-" She looked down at me with a shocked face, as if she didn't know what to say.

"I just want to get to know you and your case is all!" Finishing her sentence, anyone could tell she felt bad.

"Dont worry about it." Her eyebrows were still furrowed in shame, "It's okay honestly, just continue on with the reasons."
She sighed softly, the tension in the air slowly going away as she sped back up.

"Third, your story is slowly becoming very famous. It's the talk of Illinois so far, I'm pretty sure it's soon going to be the talk of the country. None of us would want to hurt a celebrity now would we?"
She giggled as she booped my nose softly with her unoccupied hand.

What? Talk of Illinois?? Even the country?
Slowly-??
It's only been around 3 days.
I wasn't expecting that at all.

The rush of things just hit me like a small wave, I feel kind of sick.
Millions of people know me now, they know who I am.
They know about my condition, about my dad-