Chapter 13

I headed to Trinity's house after calming down. 

I walked in quietly in case she was sleeping, and I started getting medicine for her for when she woke up. 

I heard her walk out of her room and into the living room, where she plopped on the couch and coughed. 

"Feeling any better?" I asked, giving her the medicine and water. 

"Blah." She replied. 

I put my hand on her forehead and she definitely had a fever. 

"You could cook eggs on your head." I joked, and she laughed. 

"You look weird." 

"What?" 

"You've been crying." 

"Huh?" 

"I know you, Kyla." 

"Why would I be crying?" I asked. 

"I don't know. But YOU can tell ME." 

"I wasn't-" 

"Don't lie to me please." 

I took a deep breath, looking at Trinity curled up on the couch in a little ball, and I felt guilty. 

"Shit." I said, leaning back against the couch. 

"Does it happen to do with someone named...." She trailed off so I could finish. 

I kept silent. 

"Ashley Sanchez?" 

"What? How did you....what? I-" 

"I knew." 

"HOW???" I yelled. "I'm gonna go ask Ashley-" 

"It wasn't her." 

"Was it Kelley!?"

"No." 

"Tara??" 

"No." 

"So who was it then?" 

"It's not important." Trinity said. "Why were you crying over her?" 

"Because I'm a stupid idiot and broke up with her." 

"Why??" 

"A lot of things." I said, starting to cry again. "Because I'm a selfish idiot. I don't deserve her anyway." 

"First of all, you're not selfish or an idiot. And second of all, why don't you think you deserve her?" 

"It's a really long story....and I kinda can't tell you.....so I'm sorry." 

"Just tell me. Not like I can do anything right now." Trinity coughed. "Come on. We've never kept one thing from each other in 13 years." 

"There's gotta be something." I sobbed. 

She paused. "Well there's one I can think of for me." 

"What is it?" 

"Only if you tell me." 

"Ugh." I wiped some tears from my eyes, and I started telling her everything. But what what was really hard for me to say was that I didn't want to tell her because I didn't know how she'd react. I told her that I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. And I had no idea when I planned to say anything, but it's all out now. 

"So that night Ashley said you were sick and slept over her house you weren't actually sick?" She asked. 

I nodded. "I'm terrible. I'm horrible. I lied to get what I wanted. I'm the worst friend ever. I understand if you hate me now and just drop me all together, because I've fucked up one too many times. And this time there's no undoing it." 

I stood up and went for the door, but when I stopped at the counter to grab my keys, Trinity hugged me from behind. 

"I'm sorry." I said. 

"I'm not throwing away 13 years of friendship over this. Yeah, it was a stupid thing to do and yeah, you kinda messed up. But I can see the side where you were trying to protect me and my feelings and I appreciate that." She said, squeezing me tighter. "But I gotta fix things between you and Ash." 

"Please don't. We're teammates, so we have to spend time together. We'll work it out when we're ready." I sighed. "Hopefully it won't be long." 

----------

I slept on Trinity's couch that night, and woke up with really bad pain in my teeth. But I took some pain medicine and it helped a lot. So I went to practice, and then went back to take care of my best friend. 

The next day, she was feeling better, so she went to the trainers the next day and they cleared her to come back to practice. 

During a water break that next day, I was sitting off to the side a bit, not wanting to be too close to Ashley. I just sat there, watching her laugh with Karina Rodriguez. 

"So you've been quiet these past few days." Said Anna Heilferty, sitting down next to me. 

"Have I?" I asked, playing dumb. 

"Mhm. And you haven't spoken a word to her." She pointed to Ashley. "You guys were best friends until 2 days ago. What happened?" 

"Nothing happened. Nothing." 

"Really?" 

"Nope. Nothing." 

"Be honest with me." Anna said. "It would also help if you looked at me instead of her." 

Before I looked away, Ashley and I made eye contact. She made an angry face at me, but just quickly enough that Anna didn't catch it. 

"We just had a falling out. But things will work itself out." I said, standing up and stretching. "You don't have to think about it. I know I'm not." 

That was blatant lie, as I thought about Ashley every minute of every day. 

But I'm not about to go running back. 

After about 20 more minutes, I started to feel that pain in my teeth again, worse than before. 

"Oh my god. Ow. My teeth. Oh my god it's so bad." I said, holding back tears. "I think I'm gonna pass out." 

"Sit down, sit down." Tara grabbed my arm and sat down next to me. "Hatch, go get the trainers please."

"Got it." She sprinted off towards the trainers, and when she got there started pointing frantically. 

I dug my nails into my wrist, hoping it would take some of the pain away from my teeth, but it didn't work at all. 

I complained about my head and my teeth, and Tara started talking to me to distract me while the trainers came over. 

"What happened?" Asked one. 

"I don't know. I've had this pain in my teeth. It was bad a few days ago, but has only been minimal since then and now it's worse." I replied. 

"When did they start hurting today?" 

"I hit a header and then 2 minutes later." 

"That's not good." She said, getting me some pain medicine and the the other trainer went to go get ice. 

"Let's get off the field so you don't get hit and so we don't interrupt anything." She said, and Tara helped me up, and walked me to the bench but then went back onto the field. 

I sighed and tried to listen to the trainers tell me things, but the pain was almost too much to handle. 

Hope you enjoyed! This chapter! 

Sequel Update: It's coming along well, I have about 39 chapters written. I'm not sure how many more I'm going to write, but it probably won't be less than 45. I ended up adding a lot more details than I thought, which is okay. It's even better than I wanted it, so that's good. But again, as soon as I finish I'll publish the first chapter and keep going on from there. Thanks for all the support!