Chapter 15

Over the next few days, I woke up with my teeth hurting every day. Today is the day of our game against North Carolina Courage, who was probably going to be our toughest opponent. 

I met up with Trinity before the game and we got breakfast. 

Every time I took a bite, my teeth hurt more and more to the point where I couldn't even eat my pancakes anymore and we just met up with the team for our team walk. 

Every day at practice, Trinity shared her time between me and Ashley because she didn't want either of us to feel like she chose sides, because really she didn't. 

And she told Ashley, and everything was fine. We just don't talk. And my life has been hell ever since that day, between my teeth and not having her. 

"I made cookies!" Our goalie Aubrey Kingsbury said, talking around the group to let us take one. 

"This is really good." Sonnett said. "Can I have another?" 

"I don't have enough for everyone to have 2." Subrey replied. 

"But I brought brownies!" Kelley O'Hara pulled out her container of brownies, and gave one to everyone. 

I ate my cookie first, and it was delicious. Then I ate my brownie, but then my teeth started to hurt so bad that I slipped it to Trinity so I didn't have to finish. 

"You love brownies." Trinity said. "Do you not like Kelley's?" 

"No, my teeth." I said. 

"I'm done with this. We're going to the dentist." She grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards her car. 

"Where you guys going?" Kelley asked as we walked away. 

"This kid needs the dentist." Trinity replied, looking back. "I'll get her back safely." 

----------

At the dentist, he took one look at my teeth and told me how it was my wisdom teeth and I was going to need surgery to get them out as soon as possible. 

"Well I have a game tonight, so not tomorrow for recovery day, so how about Friday?" I said. 

"Well if you're gonna play, try to avoid headers as much as possible I'd say." He said. "Tp be honest, I don't really want you to play at all." 

"But I was just out and missed last week because I had the flu!" 

"I wouldn't advise you to play, but I'll leave the decision up to you." He said. 

When we got in the car, Trin asked me what I was gonna do. 

"You don't know what I'm gonna do?" I laughed. "You've known me 13 years. You shouldn't have to think twice about this." 

"Don't play. You're only gonna SOMEHOW be in more pain." 

"I'm gonna play, Trin. I'll be fine." 

"I really hate to see you in pain, Kyla. Please don't play." 

"Fine. I'll reconsider." I lied. 

I'm playing. I don't care.

----------

At the field, we did all of our pregame stuff as a team, everyone careful around me for some reason. The only person who didn't talk to me was Ashley, who kept her distance and I'm fine with that. 

But I still miss her like crazy. 

I wasn't starting, but Ashley and Trinity were. 

When I wasn't starting, which wasn't often in the past, I'd always say good luck to each person in the starting XI. 

But keeping that tradition would mean talking to Ashley. But I didn't want to ruin my tradition. 

"Go get 'em, Trin." I said, and we did our handshake. 

"Thanks dude." 

"Let's go, Kel!" I gave her a fist bump.

"Super sub." She smiled. "With dental issues." 

I rolled my eyes, and went to the last person, Ashley. 

"Um, good luck, Ashley. You're gonna kill it." I said. 

She was quiet for a second, staring hard at the ground. She looked up a little bit to say "Thanks." 

And that was that. 

But for some reason I didn't move, and neither did she. We met eyes again, and I wanted to say something else, like 'I miss you' or 'please take me back' or 'Ashley I love you.' 

But instead I walked away to the other side of the huddle as Anna watched me closely. I just stared back at her, and I knew she was gonna say something to me after the game. 

After the first half, we were up 1-0 off a goal from Tara, assisted by Hatch. 

I went in in the 65th minute, after North Carolina had scored twice and were beating us 2-1. 

I made things happen almost immediately, sending a ball in to Hatch, who shot it but it was saved by the goalie. 

About 5 minutes later, we had a corner kick, and the ball was put in right to my foot. 

I saw Ashley making a run behind me, and I hit the ball off my backheel, she took one dribble and shot it right into the back of the net. 

She gave me an awkward hug, and she said "This is for the cameras only." 

"You tell yourself that." I whispered back, and the rest of the team came to celebrate. 

The game stayed tied at 2-2, and I directed a header towards our goal, only making my teeth hurt like hell again. 

Then in the 85th minute, we got a corner kick, and this time the ball was played in the perfect spot right for me to run in and hit it. 

But I completely forgot about my teeth because I got excited, and instead of just hitting the ball with my foot, I had to  be an idiot and take the diving header to be like Carli Lloyd. 

I slid on my stomach for a split second, watching as the ball went in the back of the net. 

Trinity ran over to me, pulled me up, and into a hug. I was so excited I wasn't thinking about my teeth. 

"How do your teeth feel after that one?" She asked not letting go of me. 

"Like hell." I replied, but then the rest of the team came to celebrate my first professional goal. 

"Nice." Ashley said, smirking and I think she winked. 

What kind of game is she playing with me? 

Right after that, Trinity got taken out on a slide tackle, and it was so bad she had to get pulled. 

I ran to her side, trying ti calm her down as she was clearly in pain. 

The trainers pulled her off and she didn't have to go straight back to the locker room, which was a positive. She seemed to be okay after a few minutes. 

I went up for one more header, and that ended the game for me. 

I started crying right there on the field, just laying there and shaking in pain. 

The trainers came running on so fast, and I opened my eyes to see Tara trying to talk to me. 

Some girl had hit me in the head when we both went up, and her head had hit me in the jaw, right where my tooth pain was. 

The trainers took me right back to the locker room, and the only thing I opened my eyes to see was Trinity on the bench, watching the trainers lead me off.