Chapter 24

I started tonight's game, which was super awesome.

But the thing was I started alongside Ashley at center attacking midfield, and to have to have us work together right now may not be the best idea. 

But no one told the coaches or any staff, because no one wants us suspended for fighting. 

I was still wondering whether Ashley got my note or not, because as usual, we weren't interacting. 

It was so cool to be out with the team in the starting picture tonight, and somehow I ended up next to Ashley standing up. She never stands up usually because she's one of the shorter ones., so it was very weird. On my left was Hatch. But I had to touch Ashley, and the thought of that probably made her want to barf. 

This game is against North Carolina Courage, and they were second in the group. We were already going to the semifinals, but this game is important because if we keep them from winning or tying, they don't go to the semis. 

At halftime, we were tied at 0-0 even though we dominated possession and the shots were 9:2 us, me having 3 of those despite not being a forward. 

We got a good halftime talk by Coach Kris Ward, and we were all ready to go out. 

I was still in the game, there were no subs. 

By the 60th minute, I was sick of this game being tied. It was so annoying. And I especially didn't want to be subbed off. 

I decided that I have to try my hardest to give an assist or maybe even get a goal. I played smart, quick, and hard. 

By the 65th minute, I finally made the impact I hoped and took the best shot of my life into the upper left hand corner of the net. I did that after dribbling through people, dumping the ball to Trin, who crossed it to Ash, who found me on a run inside. 

Everyone went crazy, and I heard our coach yell "FINALLY! THANK YOU KYLA." 

Ashley gave ma an awkward high five, and Trinity gave me a big hug, as well as Hatch, Kelley, Tara, and Anna. 

In the 67th minute, I was able to bag another goal off an assist from Hatch, and then again in the 70th I gave an assist to Ashley. 

After the game, we learned that we had made history that night, scoring the fastest team hat trick in NWSL history in just over 5 minutes. 

The next day, every NWSL story was 'Kyla Ripley has a bright future with Washington Spirit' or 'Is there a special soccer bond forming between Ripley and Sanchez?' 

Then I checked my Instagram notifications, and I immediately regretted it. 

The first thing I clicked on was a video of me and Ashley hugging in the first game of the challenge cup, and then one of the awkward high five from last night's game.  

"I hate social media." I said to Trinity. 

"Me too. Why do you?" 

"I think people are catching on to whatever happened between Ash and I." I replied, giving her my phone. 

"It seems to me like you need to make it less obvious." 

"That's not a me problem is it?" I asked. 

I DM'd the video to Ashley, and I didn't care if she answered or not. I also added "We need to fix this." 

She left me on seen, but whatever.  

"So have you talked to Tara after the other night?" 

"I mean kinda. It hasn't been long since then and also yesterday was pretty busy." 

"You think it's gonna be awkward?" Trinity asked. 

"Not really. I mean I won't make it anyway." I said. "Sometimes I wonder if she actually does like me like me." 

"I wonder too." 

"If maybe one day I completely get over Ashley and I leave that piece of me in the past, yeah, maybe I'd try to make it work with her. But she's just such an awesome friend, I can't afford to lose her." 

"Is that why you haven't come after me yet?" She joked. 

"I still have time." I laughed, then made a kissy face at her. 

"Also why wasn't that your mentality with Ashley?" 

"She's just.....different. I can't explain it." 

"Alright." 

"And again, I'm super sorry if I ruined anything for you guys. It was selfish of me." 

"I wish you would stop saying that, because I'm not mad at you. Not even a little bit."  

And that's why Trinity and I have been best friends for so long.