Chapter 20

The Nationals won 7-2 over the Orioles I had my Juan Soto home run ball in my hand as we walked happily back to the car. 

When we got to the car, I plugged in my phone because it almost died during the game. I checked my texts from Tara after. She had texted me about 5 times, but I was trying to enjoy the game and save my power, so I didn't answer. 

8:15pm
Kyla 
Come over after the game please
It's important

9:27pm
Please lmk

10:33
Soooo....are you gonna come over or what? 

I answered her and told her I'd come, even though I was completely exhausted. I told her that she'd have to give me a ride home because I'm just having Hatch drop me off, and she said she would or I could sleep over. 

In the car, I was quiet, because I couldn't stop thinking about a conversation Hatch and I had in the 6th inning. 

"So what happened between you and Ashley?" She asked. 

"Ugh. Don't make me think about her." I sighed. 

"Sorry." 

"No, it's okay. I'll tell you."  I took a deep breath.  "Basically, we were somewhat of a thing....but we didn't tell Trinity or anyone. Kelley and Tara found out without us saying anything. They kept the secret. Well it went on for a little while, and eventually we had a big fight because I'm a selfish piece of crap, and I couldn't take it in the heat of the moment. So I broke up with her, leaving her all angry and hating me. And I think it's a completely valid reaction. I wish I didn't leave her." 

"Well this is....a lot." Hatch said. 

"And she won't even let me talk to her or be near her without making a face or walking away. I just want to say sorry. But I can't." 

"Write her a note." 

"How do you know she won't rip it up?" 

"You'll never know if you don't at least try to give her a note, right?" 

So my plan when I got home was to write a note and put it in her locker tomorrow at practice, but clearly Tara has different plans for me. 

----------

Trinity's POV

"Okay. She's on her way. You better get out of here." Tara told me. 

It was just then when I realized how sneaky this plan was. It sounded good at first, but now, after we have everything planned down to every scenario possible, now I feel bad. 

"Are you sure this is gonna work?" I asked. 

"Yes. Now go so she doesn't see you." 

I left after that, and I'm pretty sure I passed her and Hatch driving in as I left the complex, but I couldn't be sure. 

As I got back to my apartment, I sat on my porch and read a book, looking at my phone nervously every 5 minutes. 

But the first text I got wasn't from Kyla or Tara. It was from Ashley Sanchez. 

----------

Kyla's POV

I swear I saw Trinity leaving Tara's complex as we drove in, but I'm not sure if it was. 

"Thanks for everything, Ash." I said. "This night was everything to me." 

"Anytime, kid. We'll go to another game again soon." She smiled. 

I leaned over the seat to give her a hug, and I have her glove back with the Juan Soto home run ball tucked inside. 

I left the car after that, and she called after me. 

"Kyla! You left this!!" 

"You keep it." I said, and walked into the building before she could say anything else. 

I knocked on the door of Tara's apartment, and she let me in. 

"What's so urgent?" I asked. 

She gave me a weird look, and I laughed a little bit. 

"Um, okay." I took an apple from the bowl at the middle of her counter. 

"I just wanted to hang out." She said. 

"This is weird. I'd leave if I could." 

"I'm sorry. I just feel like we haven't hung out lately." 

"Couldn't we hang out tomorrow?" I asked. "I'm dead tired." 

"I'm busy tomorrow." 

"And I'm busy today!" 

Tara was the teammate I'm closest with other than Trinity, and we hung out a decent amount, so this was a little weird. 

Well after that, she wasn't acting weird anymore, and I was so confused as to what was going on. 

We sat on the couch and watched a movie, sharing a tub of Ben And Jerry's ice cream. 

"I've eaten so bad today." I said. 

"Whatever. It's a cheat day." Tara said. 

"Every day's a cheat day." I laughed. 

"You still look great." 

"I have a fast metabolism. Which means I don't gain weight fast, which is code for 'has no ass.'" 

"You're still hot anyway." 

After that, she subtly flirted with me, and eventually I gave in, because I couldn't resist.  

'Is this me getting over Ashley?'  I wondered

I quit thinking about Ashley for a few seconds as she leaned over to kiss me, and I gave in. 

----------

Trinity's POV

"Is everything okay?" I asked Ashley as soon as she picked up the phone. I was already running around my house, putting my book away, getting my keys and my shoes on. 

"I don't know!" She cried. 

"Where are you?" 

"I'll send you my location." 

I waited for the text as I ran down the stairs of my apartment building and to my car. 

"Please come get me." I heard her sniffle. 

"I am. I'll be there in....10 minutes." 

"Stay on the phone with me. Play along." She whispered. 

"Um...." I said.

"My....sister is coming to pick me up to take me to see him in the hospital." She said to someone. "No I have no time. I need to go." 

I heard her running and saying "I have to go! I need to leave!" I heard a door slam, and the wind as she ran down the street. 

"Are you okay?" I asked, speeding the car up a bit. 

"I'm at the front of the neighborhood. I'm scared." 

"I'll be there in 2 minutes." 

When I pulled up, she jumped in my car, a crying mess. 

"What happened?" I asked, leaning over to give her a hug. "You're okay now. You're safe." 

What happened was she went on a date with a guy she met at one of our games, and he picked her up so she didn't have a car. Then she wanted to go back to her house, but she gave in to going to his. They hung out, and she asked if he could drop her off back home, but he wanted something more, and she didn't. 

Well she locked herself in the bathroom to call me. I brought her back to my house, because if he knew where she lived that was scary. 

"And Trinity?" She said when we got in my apartment. 

"And Ashley." I replied. 

"When I kissed him, I realized that I'll never love anyone the same way I loved Kyla. I still love her."