Chapter 25

Our semifinal game against OL Reign was originally supposed to be in Seattle at their home field, Lumen Field, but because of a scheduling conflict, we were luckily home again. 

I did nothing interesting between the time of our last game and the time of the next one, except watch myself go viral on social media for a million things at this point. 

Also I cried about Ashley, wrote songs about Ashley, and then yelled at myself in the mirror that it's time to get over Ashley. 

I also hung out with Trin and Tara a bunch as usual. 

I'm starting tonight's game, but I was told that we had to score early and couldn't wait until the second half becauae OL Reign was going to come strong and fast, and we didn't want that to get to our heads. 

I was very nerve wracking to say the least, this being the first big game I'm starting. 

"You're gonna do great. You're gonna go out there, play soccer just like you know how to do, and you're gonna kill it." Trinity told me, untucking a part of my jersey that was accidentally tucked in. 

"Thanks." I said, shaking myself out nervously. 

We got in number order, and Tara wasn't starting, so there was no one to go between Ashley and I during the anthem, as I was #8 and she was #10. 

When the whistle blew signalling kickoff, my nerves eased immediately, and the team fell into our groove easily. We had the first close call, with Trinity playing a ball right to Hatch, which was stopped by the goalie. 

Reign struck not long after, but Sam Staab put a quick stop to it and played the ball to me, who had space and time. Their midfielders started to come after me, but I beat them one by one so I was left with Hatch and their defensive line. 

Hatch made a great run that lost their defender, and I slid the ball to her for an easy shot, making another run at the goal. 

She gave it back, and I knew Trin was behind me, so I backheeled the ball right to her, and she took a perfect shot to the opposite upper corner. 

Then in the 30th minute, Reign scored, and we ended the half 1-1. 

At halftime, we had to step up the offense, as our defense was good just that one slip up. 

"Now where's our goal machines right now? Come on, Kyla and Ashley. Connect some more.  Ashley, Kyla is wide open. You know what she can do when she's wide open. It's simple soccer. Don't pass to Trinity, who's double marked. Simple soccer." Said Coach Kris Ward. 

"Got it." Ashley said, not looking at me. 

She definitely ripped up the note. 

I went through my bag quickly to find that note that she gave me on the day of my first practice, which I look at every day before practice and every halftime of every game. 

That halftime tradition started when I was about to go in at halftime in my first game. I was so ready to go now. 

About 10 minutes into the half, Kelley committed a bad foul IN THE BOX. So OL Reign got a penalty kick. 

I ran up next to her to tell her it was okay, because she was obviously distraught over it, especially when we couldn't find the back of the net for the entire rest of the game. 

Then there were 2 minutes of stoppage, and we had a ton of momentum. 

Then Reign had a girl flop down and try to waste time, but the ref gave us back all the time we needed, which was plenty for me to get the ball to Ashley, who did find the back of the net. 

All of the Reign girls were mad, and complaining that we went over stoppage, but the ref explained that because the girl was down, they had to add time back. 

They were so pissed that their stupid time wasting strategy didn't work, and I was trying not to smile or laugh while all of this was going down. 

Now we had to go right to PK's, because there was no overtime in the challenge cup. 

First up was Hatch, but she went after the Reign player. They both scored it. Then Sonnett and the other player both scored theirs too. Then our badass goalie Aubrey scored hers, as well as the girl from Reign. Then it was Ashley, and the other girl scored too. Same with Trinity and the Reign player next. 

Then it was sudden death. 

Andi made hers, and same with the other team. Julia Roddar and the girl she was against made it too. Anna made hers, so did the Reigh girl. Then Tinaya Alexander's got saved. 

Shit. 

But there was Aubrey, coming in clutch with the save too. 

Sam Staab and the girl she was against both made theirs. 

Then I was next after the Reign player. 

I stretched a little bit in line, getting ready. 

Ashley's note ran through my head. The one I read at halftime and before every practice. 

Kyla, you're gonna kill it today. 

Just that simple little note is such an important part of my life. 

I watched intently as the girl I was against went to take her shot, and Aubrey saved it by barely getting her hand on it, and everyone screamed for her. 

But that means that the whole game rides on me right now. Well, not really, but the game ending any time soon rides on me. 

I grabbed the ball, took a deep breath with my eyes closed, and then I looked back to my teammates. 

I meant to look at Trinity, but instead I met Ashley's eyes, and she nodded a bit. 

'Kyla, you're gonna kill it today.' Echoed through my mind as I put the ball down. 

I took another deep breath, and looked at the net, remembering where the goalie was better at diving to. I was a righty, so she's thinking I'm gonna go to my right. 

I stared at my feet for a second, and then I took my steps back, and went for the goal. 

I hit the ball right where I wanted, and closed my eyes after, because I couldn't look. 

I missed. 

The goalie had saved it, and Reign was cheering like crazy. 

I walked back to my line, trying to hold back my tears. 

"Kyla it's okay. Don't stress about it." Trinity said, putting her arm around me. We were supposed to be in order, but the ref wasn't looking. 

I took a deep breath and fought the tears successfully. Then I watched the Reign player miss the goal completely, making it their third miss in a row. 

Next up for us was Kelley. 

"I'll do it for you, kid." She said, and ran to the spot. 

She wasted no time in putting down the ball and taking her confident steps back. Then she ran up and crushed the ball into the back of the net, sending the goalie the other way. 

"YEAH KEL!" I yelled as we all sprinted out to her. 

"I told you, Kyla. Everything's gonna be alright." Smiled Kelley as we were all in a group hug. And everyone from the bench came to join us. 

As angry at myself as I was, I couldn't have been happier for Kelley, because she was the one that gave up the pk earlier that changed the game. 

After the game, she must have felt really bad for me or something, because even Ashley gave me a hug. 

"That was for your assist. Not you missing that goal. You know how important that was?" Tara said. 

"I guess. But I missed the damn pk." 

"So what? You helped us get there. It's not like you owed us anything else." 

That stuck with me and made me feel at least a little better.