Chapter 18

I got in the game at the 70th minute, and we were tied 1-1. 

I heard the coaches whisper in front of me, which lead to me going in. 

"Give Kyla a shot. She's done well." 

"That's a good idea. Roddar is tired." 

So then they told me to stand up and arm up quickly, because they wanted me in ASAP. 

When I check in, I got the ball almost immediately, dribbled through some defenders, and dumped it off to Trinity, who crossed it to Anna Heilferty, who knocked it in. 

"Nice!" I heard coach yell, and Trinity found Anna and gave her a hug.

I joined the celebration, and Anna was so happy to see me. 

"That's all you!" She said. 

"But your shot was so perfect!" 

We ended up winning 2-1, and I was super happy for Anna scoring the game winner. 

The next few days went by in a blink of an eye, and I missed Ashley more with each passing one. 

One day after practice, we were all in the locker room and Ashley decided that it was the appropriate time to come shit talk me. 

"Why do you hate me so damn much?" I finally asked, aggravated.  

"Because you are a selfish who breaks innocent hearts!" She said, stepping up to me. 

"If you think being selfish is me trying to protect my best friend's feelings, then you've got the wrong idea, girlfriend." 

"First of all I'm not your friend." Ashley said. "And second of all, you are selfish. All I see is someone who didn't consider someone else's feelings when it came to a life altering decision." 

"And those were?" 

"I wanted to tell her!" 

"And you agreed with me that we shouldn't tell her for so long. So why all of a sudden did you care about telling her?" 

I felt all eyes on us now, and out of the corner of my eye I saw Trinity watching in horror as the rest of this unfolded. 

"I don't know. But I felt like the time was right." Ashley said. 

"But you didn't consider MY feelings about that!" 

I'm so confused honestly. What's her problem? 

"So you're calling ME selfish?" 

"Listen, Ashley, I genuinely don't know what's got you so mad at me but-"

"Everything! You just piss me off!!" 

"I'm sorry but how do I piss you off? I stay out of your way and I gave you a freaking ride home even though I knew you hated my guts for some unknown reason!" 

She stepped up closer to me. "Well you're shitty. Just a shitty person." 

"Back off me." I said, shoving her backward. 

"Don't touch me!" She shoved me back. 

"So this is really how you want to go huh?" 

"Go. I dare you." 

"Kyla don't you da-" Trinity started, but it was too late, and I shoved Ashley again in a fit of anger. 

"Don't touch me!" She slapped me in the face, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a horrified Trinity. 

"You-" I was about to scream something terrible, but Tara covered my mouth and pulled me backwards off Ashley. 

"Absolutely not." She said, restraining me while Kelley grabbed Ashley. 

"Okay, let's agree to NOT tell anyone in the front office about this please." Sam Staab said. "It's just not worth it." 

Everyone agreed, and I held back tears, because now is when it really hit me that Ashley ACTUALLY hated me and would for the rest of her life. 

I looked around and saw Trinity crying, her head in her hands. 

Then O cried too. 

----------

"That's the problem! She hates me but I don't hate her!" I told Tara back at my house. 

"Well you need to fix that." She replied, eating some chips that were probably like a month old. 

"How?" 

"No idea." 

"Well thanks for the help." 

"You're welcome." 

I sighed, and looked at the TV. 

"Tara, what if I lead this miserable life from now on because I broke up with Ashley and she hates me now?" I asked. "I'd hate myself forever. I broke her heart so bad. She didn't deserve it." 

"You're gonna get over her." Said Tara, putting down the bag of chips and coming down to sit next to me. 

"But she was my first real love, I think. I mean, it hurts how much I miss her. And I hate seeing her absolutely hate my guts. It hurts on the worst level, Tara. I have no idea what to do. I can't be this miserable all the time. I don't get how this can hurt so much. But it does. I remember having the flu and she cam to visit me, not at all afraid of getting sick. She sat next to me on my bed, and she told me she loved me. How did it go from love to hate so quickly?" I started t cry again. 

"Don't cry!" She said, wrapping me in a hug. "Remember you have the Nationals game with Hatch tomorrow night. You're gonna have a good time! It will keep your mind off Ashley." 

"But what about tonight and tomorrow during the day?" 

"Kyla." 

I sobbed into her shoulder for a while, and she didn't say anything. Neither did I. 

When I calmed down eventually, we put on a movie and just hung out for the rest of the night. 

Trinity walked in at like 9:30, making us both jump. 

"Am I interrupting-" She started. 

"What?" I asked. Then I realized how cuddled we were, and I laughed. "No. You're good. What's up?" 

"A lot." 

"Really?" 

"Yep." 

"Care to share?" I asked. 

"Actually yeah."