Run

When I decided to join the run the next day, I had expected some level of discomfort. In fact, the moment Everett stood up at dinner and announced my decision to join their nightly exercise, I could feel the press of Damien's hateful gaze upon me. I don't know why his teenage angst was solely targeted at me, but whatever his reasons were, my inclusion in this sacred ritual was a slight against him. There were likely others that also saw my attendance as less than positive considering I had not sworn myself to the pack yet, but my concerns on the matter drifted into the background once we gathered in preparation for the run.

Without a moment of hesitation, the pack moved to a set of cubbies lining the pack hall's back wall. There they stripped down to nothing, before shoving their belongings onto the shelves. My cheeks burned with embarrassment and I nearly pulled a neck muscle in my effort to look away as quickly as possible. Was I also expected to run naked even though I wouldn't be shifting like they were?

"Del, over here!"

A friendly voice called out to me from somewhere just beyond the bulk of the pack; which, having shed their restrictive clothing, was now transforming into their lupine forms. I turned to find Will some distance away and thankfully dressed in the same attire he came to dinner in.

"Please tell me you plan to keep your clothes on."

"Yes," he said with a deep laugh. "I don't have fur to protect me from the various twigs and branches that will slap you across the legs and arms. Though admittedly..." He raised up his bare forearms and glanced down at his exposed legs. "It doesn't get cool enough here, even at night, to do this run in proper protective clothing. At least my chest, waist, and thighs are covered, that's something right?"

"And we have shoes," I pointed out. "I can't imagine getting a shrub stuck between your toes is pleasant for humans or wolves."

"Yeah, I suspect the rapid healing helps with that." He paused and then glanced over my shoulder. "Looks like we're heading to the woods. I'm glad I got to talk to you even if for a little bit. It's funny how we have dinner together all the time, but we never get a chance to speak."

What Will was graciously sidestepping was the fact he ate at the furthest point from the head table. He was technically a non-member, though I knew Everett and Luc had practically accepted him into the pack in all but name. Still, it meant we were worlds apart; which is why he likely thought I'd be joining Everett at the head of the pack for the run instead of staying with him.

"I was hoping we could actually chat a bit during the run," I replied with a smile as we both set off towards the woods. "If that's okay with you, of course. I don't know how winded you get on these runs."

"Oh?" He stuttered, his eyes darting between me and where Everett's large lupine form watched the parade of werewolves marching into the forest. "I just...I'm sure the Alpha would like..."

"He would like many things, and sadly he has placed his bet on a stubborn woman. I know protocol would have me running side by side with Everett, but as I currently am, I couldn't keep up with them and I would just slow the whole pack down if Everett kept speed with me. Maybe some day I'd be willing to run up there, but for now, I'd much rather hang in the back with you. Baby steps, you know?"

"You can run faster than me though."

"Yes," I replied with a shrug. "However, I'm also capable of keeping pace."

In truth, Everett was the one who suggested I start off with Will. Not that I protested that decision, in fact it was a rather welcome surprise. However, when I told him my plans to use the run as a guise to explore the woods and find the bone chapel, he recommended I create distance from the rest of the pack by staying with Will, only to then pick up speed as I neared the chapel's location. That way no one will notice my departure and I could also gain some time to catch up with a friend.