Want and Need

He left me atop the bed, turning on the ceiling fan and throwing open the windows so the morning's breath could cool by burning skin. There I remained to writhe and cry, while he darted into the en suite and turned on the bathtub faucet.

It seemed like ages before he came back to retrieve me. I listened to the water pouring out its spout with my eyes pinched shut and teeth gritted tight. No matter how I stretched or folded my limbs, no position provided comfort. It felt like small worms were writhing just beneath my skin as the fibers of my muscles knit themselves back together. While I contorted myself upon the quilt, my joints bent in angles they shouldn't have, sending a shockwave of pain up through my body and into my already throbbing head. I whimpered as tears mixed with the sweat coating my skin.

"I'm putting you in the bath, the hot water will dull the pain."

I could only grunt my understanding before he hefted me back into his arms and carried me into the bathroom. Up and over, he stepped into the tub before splashing down with me cradled against his chest.

At first I drew in a sharp hissing breath due to the extreme heat Everett had set the tub at. Upon instinct, my limbs pulled inward, guarding as much of my skin as possible from contact with the searing water. However, as he shifted me upon his lap, the fierce burn became a welcome warmth to my joints and muscles.

"You need to release the tension. I know it's scary since it feels like your entire body is moving against your will, but the tighter you hold yourself the harder it is for your muscles and bones to heal."

His hands found my forearms, which were hugging my knees against my chest. He tugged, using enough strength to break the seal I had over my legs, but not enough to enforce his advice. Instead, he waited for me to willingly release, only applying pressure every few seconds in an attempt to coax my arms into submission.

As I slowly uncoiled, my chest became defenseless and my breaths quickened. Once the hot water found my sternum, my heart rate jumped and a shiver ensnared my entirety. However, the shock of the exposure lasted only a few seconds, and once my belly and breasts accepted the healing touch of the heated bath, my lungs eased and my heart slowed.

"That's it, take it slow. Breathe in deep and focus on freeing your legs to float in the water."

His grip released their hold on my arms and slid down the sides of my stomach before locating my knees. Again he pressed with just enough force to encourage my limbs, but not enough to do the work for me.

With almost every square inch of my skin caressed by the water, it was easier to convince my legs to unbend and stretch me out along the full length of the tub. Well, almost the full length.

The tension and pain not only released their hold on my muscles, but also my mind. The incessant thrumming of trauma within my skull dulled and my own conscious thoughts finally gained volume. It was then that I heard the various reports my senses had been desperately trying to send me. Yes, I was in pain. Yes, the water was hot. And yes, the air was humid with the steam of the bath. But there were other notes lingering behind that noise that brought a new sort of tension to my body.

My eyes blinked open and I saw the way the tops of my bare breasts peeked out from beneath the water. My ears twitched at the sound of Everett's breath just behind my ears. My skin tingled with the slick contact of my back rubbing against his own naked chest.

"Just concentrate on your breath and do the best you can to relax." His voice was low and soft, causing my own heart to pound. When I felt his fingertips brushing my shoulder blades, my breath hitched. "Sorry, I was just going to massage your neck and shoulders to help loosen the muscles there, but if you're still sore..."