Find Me

Everett and I both decided there was no need for the pack to witness this slaughter any further. He called the wolves back to Moonshade, leaving the rest of the clans to watch the bonfire.

"There is much to be said. You all deserve some answers after the last 24 hours we've had." Everett stood before the wolves, who had all taken their seats around the tables outside the pack hall. Everyone watched in silence as he continued on with a booming and exhausted voice. "As much as it pains me to say this, Will will have to wait until the next new moon to complete his conversion. Thankfully, it appears the threat of hunters has diminished and the need for more wolves is not as urgent. This way we can truly celebrate our new brother."

There were murmurs of disappointment as well as consolation as those near Will offered their sympathies for his predicament. My cheeks colored with shame. If Damien and I hadn't gotten into a spat, then Will would've been converted the previous night.

"It's not too late to punish me for my insubordination." Damien's voice lilted into my thoughts and I looked over at him from the side of my eye. Sadie no longer took position to my right at the head table. I don't know how much she knew about the situation, but she didn't contest her new position when Damien took his seat next to me.

"I am not going to punish you for last night, I will, however, get cranky if you listen in on my thoughts."

"Of course, Alpha. Though, I had not been listening in. It is clear from your body language and your general aura that you are upset. As a wolf, you'll find it easier to read people through smells and little nuances in the things they do. It is a gift and a curse sometimes."

I sighed, but didn't say more, instead I turned my attention back to Everett.

"With all the death that has marked this past day, I think it best to not run tonight. The air is thick with the ash of our neighbor Clementine and of the two hunters, whose names were Peter and Rashaad."

This time I looked to Everett and I shared my feelings without guarding them.

"Thank you for acknowledging them." I paused and shook my head a little. "I don't know why that matters, but it's just... They died and I'm not sure they should have."

He didn't respond, instead he nodded ever so slightly and continued to speak to the pack.

"Go home and pray to the moon goddess that she takes all the trouble, all the heartbreak, and all the fear with her when she sets this night." He raised his hands up to the sky and heaved a deep sigh. After a moment's pause, he continued. "There's more to say, but for now, rest."

There certainly is, I thought to myself. Including the fact I'm supposedly an Alpha.

I groaned and laid my head upon my crossed arms as the pack rose up and dispersed. Most of the head table also left, including Claire, who walked over and gave my shoulder a squeeze before returning to her room in the manor. Everett, Luc, Damien, and I, however, remained, and, to my surprise, a few others out at the pack tables did as well.

"Octavia, Morris, Gretchen, and Ulysses. I will see you in the lounge after I've had a moment to speak with Delilah. Please go there immediately."

The four wolves bowed their understanding and then headed in the direction of the manor house.

"So," I said, rising up to meet him as he stepped away from the table, "what do you want to discuss?"

"Those four are my advisers. An Alpha, of course, relies on their mate and Beta for support and consultation, but it's good to have others outside of that dynamic to help govern and discuss important topics. It's not something all wolves do, but I do recommend it to you as you start to think about your role as Alpha."