Memories

Deanna Shrewsbury—elementary school—steadfast friend from kindergarten until the fifth grade field trip to the zoo. Got the cold shoulder when I tried to join her group. Later saw her snickering with her friends while comparing me to a baby hippo.

Jeremy Brewster—middle school—loudly pointed out to the rest of his table how I had my own table at the cafeteria because no one wanted to sit with me. Mark Flores, Devin Wilder, and Shawn Leopold laughed the hardest.

Lily Simmons—high school—asked me if I thought her boyfriend was cute. I responded with no since he was both taken and not my type. She got angry that I would call him ugly to her face. I said he wasn't ugly and then she laughed at me saying it was hilarious I thought I had any chance with him. There was no escape, it was always meant to be a trap.

I didn't forget. I still felt the scars at night when my brain replayed my lowest moments in a slideshow. However, should I pass any of them on the street, I wouldn't even acknowledge them. "The best revenge is a life well lived," they say. I believed those words. Not giving these bullies more headspace than they already have has helped me go from day to day.

But then Everett had told me: "You'll need to find it in you to make enemies on occasion."

No I wouldn't forget Graham's words to me, but would a life well lived really be enough?

"Are you okay? Are you worried about Dragan?"

I turned from the sunset beyond the passenger side window of Everett's truck. The dusty old pickup with frayed cushions and a dull dashboard was in stark contrast to its driver's freshly pressed suit and my shimmering silver dress.

"No, should I be?" I leaned forward, resting my forearms against the dash to relieve the strain on my back. A wolf named Yvonne had a gift with hair and makeup, and came over to the manor to help prepare us for the night's festivities. She simply cleaned and combed Everett's mane before slicking it back with a little bit of gel. I, on the other hand, was adorned with a loose braid along each side of my head that culminated in an artful bun that sat at the base of my skull. Despite the number of pins involved in the process, I didn't dare recline upon the headrest out of fear of destroying her work. Unfortunately, that made the short ride across town terribly uncomfortable.

It took a moment for Everett to answer as he dared to glance away from the road long enough to assess the sight before him.

"I suppose not," he mumbled. "I think I'm just projecting my own fears."

"And what are those?"

"That he's not going to care that you're part wolf and will renew his pursuit of you with significant vigor tonight."

I cocked my head, watching him from beneath my painted lashes. Despite the discomfort I felt within a dress that somehow covered less of my body than a standard bra and panties, I relished the effect it had upon my companion. I dared to touch his mind for just a moment, hopeful I might get to see what he did.

Where I worried the strip across my breasts provided no support whatsoever, he saw rounded mounds of delectable flesh accented by the gleam of the sequined fabric. Where I thought my exposed stomach meant I'd need to suck it in all night, he saw an expanse of toned muscle that flaunted the benefits of lycanthropy. Where I shifted in my seat so I didn't accidentally pull the fabric concealing my ass down any further than it already was, he saw the tantalizing crease of my cheeks peeking out from the low cut sweep of my dress. In his eyes I felt strong, I felt desired, I felt beautiful.

"Is that a problem?" I asked, turning away from him so he didn't see how a mere taste of his thoughts caused my face to flush.

"I'd prefer not to give him a thrashing at his own party, but I also wouldn't dislike it."