Calling to the Night

Damien raced towards the tree line while I clutched the fur at the nape of his neck. Even if I was willing to transform, I didn't have the time to craft a collar big enough to keep the ward around my neck. It felt disrespectful to use Damien this way, but if he was going to call himself my Beta, then this was the kind of thing he'd have to put up with.

If I do find Clementine, maybe she can tell me what to do about this whole Alpha nonsense, I wondered, though I quickly shook away such thoughts. This isn't about me, this is about finding the identity of her killer.

Did I trust the hunters? No. Did I think there may have been some truth in their claims? Yes.

Despite their intentions to cause harm to someone in town, I believed the eldest hunter when he told me they weren't after Clementine. I didn't want to. It was certainly easier to accept that they had killed her to remove an obstacle getting in the way of their grand plan. If I allowed myself to believe that, then I could rest easy knowing that two of her three murderers were dead and gone. That justice was served.

But this didn't feel like justice.

"The start of the river should be in this general area."

Damien slowed and stopped just short of the forest's edge. He then crouched down into the grass so I could slide off his back.

"Since you don't know exactly where this place is on the river, it will be more efficient if you begin your search at the head. Follow the scent of water—particularly the stench of algae and wet dirt. Listen for the babble of water over stones. Don't get distracted by the river further down. If it sounds more like a bubbling rush, then you're heading away from the tributary."

"Thank you, Damien." I patted his head and scratched behind his ear, before cringing and pulling away. "Oh, sorry if that's demeaning. I just acted without thinking."

"I don't mind. It feels like a handshake or a reassuring squeeze."

Still I blushed and turned away to face the woods.

"You'll keep watch for mages for me, right? Particularly Graham."

"It would be my sincerest pleasure."

I noted the wolfish grin and the wag of his fluffy tail.

"Don't harm him if he comes," I said with a point of my finger, which was answered by a disappointed whimper. I then sighed and gave him a sly half smile. "However, if you have to sit on him to keep him from going into the woods, I certainly won't be upset."

"Noted." A bright burst of color accompanied the affirmation inside my head. His tongue lulled out in a toothy grin.

I smiled at his amusement, but as I looked back to the deep dark of the forest and the uncertain answers within, my shoulders dropped and my lips tugged downward.

"I'll be doing my best to follow you along the tree line." This time his telepathic words were firm and serious. He then nudged my arm with the cold tip of his wet nose. "Just call out to me and I'll come running in. We'll deal with the aftermath as it comes."

"Hopefully, I'll only find a friendly face in there and it won't be necessary." I then took a deep breath and faced him with a pinched smile. "But I appreciate your support. Thank you for your help."

"It is my life and honor to protect you. No thanks are needed."

"Well, I don't know how long wolves live, but it sounds like we've got a few centuries ahead of us to argue over that sentiment. Just accept that I'm grateful."

"As you say."

I rolled my eyes and then my shoulders. It was time to go in.

"See you on the other side."