Thank You

Mercedes guided us in and we were greeted by a sea of tables and chairs scattered around a large open area. Some zombies were chatting over a meal of what I regrettably knew were rotted human biceps, while others battle each other in a vigorous game of cards. Along the edges were more specialized areas, though they were still open to the rest of the room. One wall was lined with book shelves and had more comfortable seating like a couple sofas and armchairs. The other wall had a large screen with a crowd surrounding it. To my surprise, it looked like they might have been watching a baseball game. Further down there was a few long tables littered with paints, ribbons, glass beads, and a wide variety of other crafting supplies.

This open space covered a little more than half of the floor. The back half, however, had a hallway that led to a series of rooms, one of which was a kitchen as it had a serving window stocked with lunch plates of biceps and cups of sweet tea.

"If you want I can give you a quick tour?" Mercedes stepped out in front of us and spread her arms wide as she showcased the impressive community they'd built inside the old warehouse.

"Maybe after our talk with Bungee, if you're available," I answered. "I'm sure Armand would love to take you up on the offer."

"Hell yeah, I would."

Honestly, I would have loved a tour as well, but I wasn't sure how long I could fight off the butterflies creating a tornado inside my stomach. I needed to treat facing Bungee the same way I would a bandage. Rip it off quick instead of prolonging the pain.

"No problem, I'm keeping watch over the commune today since Raid is busy with the other elders right now. So, I can take Armand, and whoever else, on a tour around after you all are done with Bungee."

"Right," I said, swallowing down my regret. "Sounds good."

"This way then!" Mercedes ushered us over to a set of stairs to the left of the door, while Irene placed a hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

We marched up the steps and arrived to a second floor that appeared to be completely composed of dorm rooms. In the front half of the warehouse, a single layer of dorms lined the wall. A U-shaped walkway outlined this front portion so that the first floor could be viewed from above. Armand stepped over to the metal railing and looked down before whipping out his notebook and scribbling a map of the space into his notes.

"He's in the back over here," said our guide, moving us forward while Armand trailed a few seconds behind.

We were led to the other half of the second floor where dorms continued to line the walls, but now a middle aisle of rooms were included. Bungee's dorm was a few doors into this back half and situated against one of the walls. Mercedes knocked a couple times before a muffled voice beckoned us in.

"I'll be down in the common area if you need anything." Our kind hostess stepped away from the door and I looked to my companions to see who would dare to turn the knob.

"It should be you that goes in first," whispered Irene. "Neither Armand nor myself know Bungee."

I nodded and glanced over at Mercedes to find her waiting with a patient smile. I took a deep breath and grabbed the handle.

Inside was a tight entryway with a tiny closet and a bathroom door to the right. Past the small hallway, the room opened up into the living space, where a single-sized bed sat against the wall in the corner with a dresser at the foot of it. There was also a compact desk with some papers and various writing utensils as well as a mini fridge and some shelving. On the walls, drawings and paintings were tacked up in a haphazard display. Some portrayed the fields that surrounded the commune, while others looked like quick sketches of people that were vaguely familiar. The far back wall, however, was dominated by a long window with Bungee's silhouetted figure standing before it.