Patience

I returned in time to see most of the wolves back in human form with their clothes back on or in mid-dress. Some of them waved to me as I jogged past the pack hall, while most ignored my late arrival. I nodded to those that acknowledged me and then headed straight for the Alpha manor. I intended to sneak up to Everett's room and take a quiet shower with my thoughts, but the first floor was ablaze with light and the dining room clambered with noise as a few of Everett's siblings played a board game.

"Sorry!" Based on the wicked glee in Wren's voice, I highly doubted she meant it.

"This is a dumb game," snarled her older sister Sadie as she snatched up her piece and moved it back to her home space. "It's utterly insincere."

"It's a human game, so of course it is," said Damien, who turned his dark gaze upon me as I stepped through the door.

"Shut up," groaned Sadie and Wren in unison.

"It is too late in the day for your angsty shit," added Sadie.

"What?" continued the youngest wolf, who threw his hands up in a vain shrug. "Where's the lie?"

"Watch it, pup." The warning came from the fourth player at the table. Luc drew her card for the round and moved her piece before facing her youngest brother in full. "You're only being mouthy because Del has gotten back. Show some pride in your lineage and respect your Alpha's mate."

"Well, I don't have much experience with ordinary humans," he added with feigned innocence. "Del's the only real human I've gotten to know and she seems awfully dishonest."

"Pup!" Luc roared, her hands slamming on the table as she rose up from her seat with enough energy to send the chair skittering backwards and the game board upwards.

"Dammit Damien," groaned Wren as she picked her piece up off the floor, "this is why we never play with you, you're such a drama llama." Despite the young wolf's protests, neither her beta or little brother heard her.

"The Alpha has made it clear to me that I will not be the one that gives you the thrashing you need to know your role in this pack, but that doesn't mean I won't force you to the ground if you overstep your line."

"Well, he isn't here is he?" retorted the young wolf. "He's upstairs, choosing to ignore us while he waits for his supposed mate."

"We just got back from the run, you know he always likes time alone after runs and never..."

"Excuse me." My words, though low in volume compared to the shouts between siblings, managed to capture the attention of the whole room. For a moment, I stood silent, stunned by how easy it was to draw their eyes my way, but when impatience clouded their faces, I recalled myself and continued. "I would like to ask what Damien meant by me being dishonest." This time it was their turn to maintain silence at what was apparently an unexpected question. The tension grew uncomfortable so I clarified my request. "I just wanted to know how I have failed you so that I can apologize and do better."

"That is a good question," said the beta, whose posture loosened as a smile spread across her face. "Do enlighten us as to why Del is the epitome of insincerity and has turned you off to all humans."

Damien looked at his sisters, all of which watched him with some degree of amusement twisting their lips.

"Fine, it's pretty easy to prove as she was dishonest tonight."

"Oh?" Luc's questioning tone was laced with snark and her sisters chuckled at his assertion. I, however, felt a cold chill seizing my spine.

Damien couldn't have possibly noticed, could he? The question ran through my brain as I swallowed a knot down my dry throat.