Ceremony

"My dear," he said, taking hold of my hand and planting a light kiss upon the top of it, "can I convince you to call me Dragan? I think we're close enough to no longer require such formalities." He looked up at me from the tops of his honey-green eyes with a secret smirk upon his lips. I felt the way his gaze traveled over my bare skin. I once again recalled his artful touch as he worshipped my body with his tongue and fingers.

"She is not your dear or your sweet or your anything," said Everett in a husky growl that made his words almost unintelligible. He took a step forward, making his way around me, but I put my free hand out to stop his progress.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Lord Antonov." My voice cracked and I cleared my throat. I felt a whimper enter my thoughts and I glanced up at Everett with an apologetic twist of my lips. His own remorse met my gaze. I sighed and turned back to our host. "I know there is a deep divide between the vampires and werewolves, and it warms my heart knowing you invite us out of more than just obligation." I withdrew my hand from his hold and gave a slight bow before turning my eyes to the woman standing behind him. "Scarlett it is also a delight to see you. You are looking flush with happiness."

Antonov took my diversion gracefully, rising up in full and stepping aside so his blissfully pregnant wife, Scarlett, could step forward and embrace me.

"Del, I'm so glad to see you are well."

"I'm glad to see you well too," I added as I squeezed her tight. "I was so afraid for you after the incident. I didn't know what might happen to you after taking such a blow."

"I give thanks every day that my dear Dragan has the means to afford the best care." Scarlett released me and stepped back. "Our little one is safe and secure as far as modern medicine and the finest magic can tell." She placed a hand on her round stomach, which was accentuated by the empire-waistline of her lush red velvet dress. Her proud husband wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her in close as he looked down upon her with eyes that only saw her and a smile that rarely graced the vampire's face—one of love instead of lust.

"I nearly died a second time when I found my sweet Scarlett unconscious upon the sofa. I have longed to see the day that a child bearing her soft features and kind heart was born."

Antonov spoke with such deep affection and care. In that moment it was easy to forget the demon he turned into when he sought revenge against his previous wife, Natasha. She didn't stand a chance against the old vampire and nothing resembling a body remained after he tore her to pieces. My reflection on that night still sent a shiver down my spine and I recalled another terrifying night facing Natasha's wrath. The night her children, Tomas and Adele, tried to kill me.

"How are your other children doing?" My words stumbled over my tongue and I fought to meet Antonov's eyes. I knew he'd detect my hidden meaning, but what I didn't know was how he'd respond.

"Ah, Jacklyn, Amari, Daniella, Liam, and Xavier have been buzzing around the house with delight all day," he said with a sigh. "This is Zelda's first official feeder and the children see Dean as a big brother. It's quite sweet actually."

"They would not leave him alone," said Scarlett with a giggle as she leaned into Antonov's shoulder. "They kept fighting over what he should wear. Eventually he told them they could each pick out one thing that he'd wear for the ceremony. So Zelda told them to make him some jewelry. The sweet dear has five bracelets on that each kid made."

"Oh, that is so cute," I said as I raised my hand to my heart. "Sounds like Dean will have a wonderful life here."

"Of course, he will," Antonov said before grabbing a glass of thick red liquid from a passing waiter. "I treat my family well and, as a companion feeder, he will be given a good life."