Remnants

Remnants of that life-altering night slipped into my dreams.

There were flashes of fire that haunted the dark world that engulfed me. Clementine's eerie, glazed eyes watched me within the shadows of my sleep. My heart raced as I bounded my way through the woods, chasing after the rogue huntress who was always just out of reach. I felt the thrilling tingle of my fur ruffling in the wind; my dream accented with a foreign flavor, as if I was witnessing it all through a new lens in my perception. Then there was the taste of Everett on my tongue and a warm, tugging sensation that yearned to feel the way he stretched my walls.

I awoke in a twisted nest of sweat-drenched sheets. My body burned and glistened with the intensity of my nighttime visions. I threw the covers from me and spread myself bare to the cooling breath of the ceiling fan. I took in slow, deep breaths and once I brought my consciousness completely into the real world, I realized that I was alone within the room.

I frowned at Everett's vacant side of the bed before thinking better of my displeasure and checking to see what time it was. My hand slapped my nightstand in search of the little digital clock, only to find the space occupied with more clutter than usual. I propped myself up onto my elbows and found the time was a little past dinner. I also discovered a note and necklace waiting for me beside the clock.

And this wasn't just any necklace. I knew in a moment that it was my sachet, the one Clementine had Genevieve fashion for me. I picked it up and let the small weight press into my palm. Sniffing back the emotions it elicited, I turned my attention to the note that had accompanied it.

My dear Delilah,

I'm sorry I wasn't there when you woke up. I probably could have lied there with you until the world ended, but I couldn't ignore my duties—especially considering everything that happened last night. So I left to go speak with the elders. I'm not sure what will be decided or done, but there's no getting around the fact that there are currently two hunters imprisoned at the station.

I will be debriefing them about what Luc and the others found at the hunters' campsite. They clearly didn't expect to be caught and we got some good info from it. Plus, Luc found the remnants of your transformation. Your clothes were beyond saving unfortunately, but she did retrieve your sachet, which I've left for you with this note.

Once I get back, we're going to have to talk about more than what will happen with the hunters. I'm not going to bother the elders with it just yet because this is wolf business, but they will have to be told about your alpha status eventually. However, I'd feel better talking to them about it once we know how the pack will be addressing it.

I know this feels like a lot, but I'll take care of all of it. The only thing you need to do is rest. If you want to spend the next day, or even the next few days, in bed, I would understand. Last night must have taken everything out of you both mentally and physically. When you're hungry just open the door and let Damien know since I'm certain he won't be leaving from that spot until you've told him otherwise.

Love,

Everett

I looked towards the door with a groan, slumping back down onto the damp sheets as I considered my next steps. I didn't really want to face Damien and his assertion that I was his Alpha. Plus a twinge of embarrassment left me fearful of what greeting I might receive from the troublesome wolf.

How long has he been out there? I thought to myself. I know he went to join Luc in the search, but I don't know how long that took and if he came back soon after and has been waiting outside the door ever since... I shuddered at the thought of him being just outside the door as Everett and I... physically acknowledged ourselves as mates.