I Am

I stood at the head of the creek, where the mountain's slope became steep and daunting. Across the way, a thorny bush clung to a towering cedar tree. I held the sachet tight in my fist and took several deep, even breaths.

"If you're out there somewhere, Clementine, make sure Jazmin finds this. And please tell me I'm making the right decision."

A rustle of leaves caught my attention and a squirrel scampered out of a shrub, revealing a small cluster of yellow frilly mushrooms.

I smiled as I whipped off the ward and flung it as hard as I could at the thorny bush across the creek. I watched it collide with the top of the shrub before it slid down into the innards of the bush. After a second of relief, I turned on my heel and ran as fast as I could towards the town's center.

I didn't know how long it would take for Graham to be made aware of my presence, but I wanted to be as far away from my peace offering as possible. I suspected he wouldn't be content with my excuse for why I was, yet again, rambling about the woods and would do a little detective work himself after he chastised me for my nightly stroll. And I welcomed his scrutiny, I could endure it, as long as he didn't cross the border and find what was hidden in the bush.

After a several minutes of sprinting, I picked up Damien's long, low growl. With each stride towards the open fields, the volume of Graham's cursing increased.

"What is the meaning of this?"

The old codger stood between his idling truck and Damien's tense, muscular body. My Beta snarled and snapped, keeping his hefty frame between myself and the Archmage.

"Sorry, Damien is rather protective of me now. Don't worry, I got this." I placed a hand on the wolf's head, giving his ear a scratch. The Beta cooled in an instant. His muscles eased and his tongue licked the froth from his lips. He sat back on his hind legs, those his tail still flicked with anticipation.

"I don't mean that pup, I talking about you in the woods." With Damien at ease, Graham took a step closer. A growl from the wolf, however, stopped him from going any further than that. The elderly man looked between myself and the wolf, before continuing. "When will you be satisfied with risking the town's safety? There's another hunter still out there and you continue to insist upon your frequent trips into the woods! Do you realize how selfish you are?"

Damien got back up on all fours and I felt his muscles tightening into rock.

"Leave it," I reminded him, giving him a wink when his worried gaze glanced my way. "In this situation, we need to lean into 'diplomacy' instead of intimidation."

He huffed in response, but followed my instructions without question and soon returned to his seated position.

"I am aware the third hunter is still on the loose. I'd say I know better than anyone since I was the one that saw all three of them the night of Clementine's murder."

I paused, my eyes surveying him. The old devil didn't so much as flinch at the mention and simply watched me with a lazy gaze and crossed arms.

"Which is why," I continued, stepping forward so that Damien no longer formed a barrier between Graham and myself, "I was out familiarizing myself with the pack's borders."

"Bullshit. I only picked up your presence ten minutes ago and then here you are coming out of the woods. How did you manage to get in undetected in the first..."

"Archmage, are you spying on me?" Now I crossed my arms over my chest and cocked my head in mock offense. I took another step forward with some swagger in my stride.

"I told you I've been keeping an eye on these woods ever since it's become a breeding ground for violence. Violence, I might add, that is always tied to you!"