23. The little sheep and the second mediator

The cardinal world was filled with all sort of creatures, from weak goblins and rabbit men to the mighty true dragons. There was one rule which was shaping everyone's life, and even the children knew about it.

The survival of the fittest.

Every monster fought for himself, some races like ogres get together in small villages to defend themselves. But they didn't complain about it as they fought, as they lived for the fight and the honor that will come with death on the battlefield. The humans on the other side weren't that eager to fight. Only if there was a fortune to prey on did they engage in battles, out of greed.

But there were some special individuals who never felt threatened for their existence. True dragons, Primordial demons and magic born's who completed the evolution into an awakened demon lords. They were too strong to be challenged, and if they were, they could simply wipe the enemies away in the blink of an eye.

Luminas Valentine, the vampire queen created by the divine ancestor and an awakened demon lord, never felt fear. She knew she was strong, and she didn't even have to worry about the safety of her servants, as she could simply revive them, assumed she was nearby when it happened. She knew that there were individuals like the true dragons and the primordial demons, especially Guy Crimson, but they weren't the kind of people to attack you out of the blue. Furthermore, she always thought that Dagruel was her only worry.

When she was invited to join the demon lords, she felt excited and proud of herself, despite not showing it. Her strength was acknowledged by the strongest of this world, and she was invited to join the demon lords to rule over the cardinal world.

When she arrived to the place where the Walpurgis will be held, her jaw nearly dropped. It was a paradise. But she was too proud to admit that, as she knew that her love rival Rimuru must have been responsible for this place. She took her seat and the Walpurgis started.

Guy Crimson seemed to be in a hurry as he rapidly told them everything important and surprisingly announced that Rimuru will be the one to grant them their names.

'Queen of nightmares would be fine.' Luminas thought to herself.

She heard that some humans called her that way, and she didn't dislike it. When Rimuru announced that she will be known as 'newbie' she was enraged. Never in her life has she been insulted like this. But to her annoyance, Guy seemed to approve with this title and sent Luminas a cold glare, which made her shut up. She knew that nothing good will come if she were to start a fight here. She swallowed her pride and sat back down.

Because of this, she didn't even felt like eating something. The dishes looked fabulous, but she had something else in mind.

She stood up and demanded to see Chloe and Hinata. She didn't know if they were treated well and wanted to check up on them. Maybe she could even persuade them to return home with her.

Although hesitating at first, Rimuru accepted in the end and teleported her away. Or so Luminous thought at first. It didn't felt like teleportation, but rather being sucked in? It felt weird, and she was happy when she arrived at her destination.

Where did it go wrong? What did she have to do better? All she wanted was to vent off a bit about that idi- lovable slime who did nothing but anno- make her feel happy.

Although two weeks had passed since then, Luminas still hasn't left her room and was in her bed, tucked in the sheets, shuddering even when imagining what happened.

Those red eyes still followed her even here. It was when she saw them that she knew how insignificant her existence was. She couldn't move or even make a sound. She was petrified and stood there like a little sheep waiting for her predator to hunt her down.