8

Steve sat on the edge of his bed, staring at the phone on the bedside table and his hands folded together between his shaking legs. Sweat was building up between his palms and his pulse was beating, not faster, but harder than usual.

He had hung up on Dustin twenty minutes ago, and beside him on the bed was a small piece of paper with a phone number that belonged to Eddie Munson written on it. He didn't know why he decided to call Dustin at half past ten on a Sunday, but he had a deep desire to be with Eddie for some reason.

Be with him, hang out with him. See his face, smell him. And the only way to please that desire was to call Dustin, ask for Eddie's phone number, come up with an excuse to why he should have it, and then hung up and call Eddie. He had, however not been able to complete the last step yet.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and grabbed the phone. His hand was all sweaty and he knew that his mother would have complained about it if she was home. It took him another minute before he opened his eyes again and looked down on the small piece of paper beside him.

"Let's do it.." he muttered for himself, crawled up on the bed and crossed his legs with the phone in his right hand and the small of paper in his left, slowly and carefully dialing the number, and when it was done, he placed the phone towards his ear and took in the sound of the tones. His head started to rush around with hundreds of thoughts inside of him, making up fake scenarios about what would happen if Eddie answered and what would happen if he didn't.

But the phone had just finished the first tone when he ended the call and placed the phone back down on the bedside table. He stood up from the bed, grabbed a sweater from his wardrobe and pulled it on as he ran down the stairs and walked straight towards the hall. He had no idea what he was doing and his impulse was on to the max at the moment, and suddenly he was sitting in his car with messy tied shoes, freshly washed hair and sweatpants and a hoodie - driving all the way to the trailer park. Not to see Max, not to buy drugs, but to give Eddie Munson an unexpected visit at eleven pm on a Sunday.

He hadn't really realised what he had been doing the last 15 minutes until he had parked his car outside Eddie's trailer and stood outside the door, just waiting for himself to raise his hand and knock. A part of him was hoping that Eddie was sleeping and wouldn't answer the door, but if so, he also knew that he would feel absolutely awful the entire drive back home.

He eventually raised his fist in the air and knocked on the door three times, begging for someone to open, and begging for that someone to be Eddie. The door eventually opened, and Steve took a step backwards not to get smashed in the face. Eddie was standing on the other side, staring down at Steve with slightly open mouth and wide eyes.

"Harrington?" He eventually said, low, almost in a whisper. His hand was still placed on the doorknob, and he was dressed in a pair of baggy blue jeans and a big black sweater. He looked just as messy as Steve, walking around with unfixed hair and baggy clothes.

"Hi, freak." Steve whispered back. He didn't understand why he was whispering, but the silence he was surrounded by made him almost afraid to speak properly. He dug his hands in the pockets of his hoodie and looked down on his feet - not able to control the butterflies building up inside of him because of the tension they had built up between them at the moment.

"Hi." Eddie let go of the doorknob and Steve looked up at him again. "Why are you here?"

"I.." Steve looked around again and sighed, looked back at Eddie and gave up on the whole idea of being confident in a moment like this. "I don't know." Steve didn't look away this time and saw how Eddie frowned a little by his answer. He stood up properly and pushed down his hands in his jeans pocket, taking a step backwards into the trailer.