The Friend

School had let out for the day, and outside sitting on the steps were Darwin and Anais who were waiting for Gumball to finish his detention.

"I can't believe Gumball managed to almost blow up his whole desk. Who would've thought mixing in the wrong chemical could have such a bad result?"

"Mhm.." Anais replied in a distracted tone as she was looking away, not really paying attention.

"Though it wasn't really his fault. None of us knew it'd cause an explosion like that. I mean what kind of school lets students do experiments with dangerous chemicals like that."

"Yeah..." She replied as she looked down frowning.

He giggled. "You should have seen him afterwards. He looked like he'd had an electric shock or something!"

"Oh." She rested her head on her paw.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked noticing how gloomy she looked.

"Hmm? Oh, it's nothing." She gave a fake smile, trying to hide it

"Aww, come on, something's clearly bothering you. Talk to me about it."

"I..." she looked up and saw him give a reassuring smile and sighed. 'Alright then.."

She sat up and turned to face him. "I, uh...I tried to make a friend at school again..."

"Oh, really? How'd it go?"

Her eyes began to well up slightly and she sniffed.

"Terribly...I got so nervous I couldn't form a proper sentence, I kept stuttering and fidgeting and it got really awkward. He eventually just gave me a look like I was some weirdo and walked away."

"Aww no, I'm so sorry." He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her closer to him. She rested her head on his shoulder as he began rubbing her arm.

She'd sniffed. "It's alright, it's not your fault I'm the nerdy freak no one wants to hang around."

"Hey, don't talk about yourself like that!"

"It's true though! That's what everyone thinks of me! I'm just the weirdo loner who everyone avoids."

"Aww, that's not true. Of course people wanna be around you!"

"Doesn't seem like it..." Her ears would lower as she looked down.

"There are definitely people out there who'd like you for who you are. You just have to keep looking, keep trying..."

"I've tried so much though! I've been trying for months and I've got nowhere!"

"I know it's difficult, but you just have to keep practising and eventually you'll get there."

She sighed. "What's the point? I'll never make any friends!"

"Of course you will! You can't just give up, you have to stay determined!"