The Teacher

It was lunchtime at school and Anais was at the cafeteria to get her lunch.

She was waiting in line, slowly moving forwards, when something caught her eye.

She saw Gumball looking down, almost in tears, quietly exit the cafeteria and go outside without getting any lunch.

Her ears lowered slightly and she frowned.

It's not like him to skip lunch...and he was almost in tears too...

Why was he so upset? Had somebody done something to upset him!?

She felt herself getting angry at the thought of someone upsetting her brother that badly.

She looked at her empty tray as her stomach rumbled, then looked outside thinking about Gumball.

She hesitated then left the line and put her tray back, deciding to go and check on him instead.

She went outside and scanned the playground for him.

He has to be here somewhere...

Eventually, she spotted him sitting alone on a bench at the back of the playground.

She began to walk over and as she got closer she heard him crying quietly.

Concerned, she sat down next to him.

"Gumball? What's wrong?" She asked quietly.

He quickly looked away, not wanting her to see him crying. "Nothing. I'm fine " He said bluntly.

"That's obviously not true. I saw you crying, you skipped lunch. There's clearly something upsetting you."

"I'm fine, honestly. You don't need to worry."

She hesitated, before carefully taking his paw into her own and looking up at him

"You can tell me. Whatever it is, you know you can tell me."

He slowly turned back around again and saw her giving him a reassuring smile.

He looked down and sniffed, still hesitant.

"Promise...promise you won't laugh..."

"Of course I won't. You know I'd never do that."

He hesitated then looked back up, beginning to tear up.

"Ms Simian gave us our math test results. I...I did terribly. Way worse than I expected. Even...even with all our study sessions* and me really trying to focus, I still somehow failed. I got an F."

*Read 'The Exam'

She was taken aback by this. An F!? Sure, he struggled a lot with math, but even without their study sessions he still shouldn't have done that badly!

"What!? That...that doesn't sound right. Are you sure?"

He nodded slowly, beginning to cry, unable to stop himself. "and that's...that's not the worst part. When...when Ms Simian gave me my test back, she mocked me, in front of the whole class, said that I got the lowest score out of everyone, that I...that I should be ashamed of myself, how could anyone be that stupid, she'd never seen such a bad score in all her years of teaching, I must be the dumbest student she's ever taught, that my Mom must be so disappointed in me..."