The Intruder (Advent Day Eleven)

It was a wet, rainy evening in the town of Elmore and the three Watterson kids were currently home alone, having arrived home from school before either of their parents had from work and whatever Richard was up to.

The three were now sat in Gumball and Darwin's room, hanging out and playing 'Would you rather?' to keep themselves occupied until one of their parents finally got home.

"Would you rather...be ugly or stupid?" Gumball asked.

"Hmm, I don't wanna lose my adorableness so I'm gonna go with being stupid." Darwin replied.

"Ugly of course! My intelligence is the most important part of me, no way I'm losing it!"

"Yeah, I thought you'd go with that." Gumball smiled.

"I'd ask you what your choice would be but you're already both so it wouldn't make a difference." Anais teased him as she held back laughter.

Gumball let out a mock gasp of insult, before picking up the pillow from his bed and beginning to hit her with it.

"Ah, I'm kidding, I'm kidding, ahahahahahah, ahhahahahahaha!"

As she continued to laugh the power suddenly turned off, leaving the house with no light other than the moon outside.

"Woah, what the what?!" Gumball exclaimed.

"What's going on?!" Darwin panicked.

"Relax, it's probably just a power cut." Anais assured him.

"Y-Yeah, it's just a power cut. N-Nothing to worry about..." Darwin assured himself.

Just then they heard a loud crash come from downstairs.

"What was that?!" Darwin jumped in his spot.

"I...I don't know..." She admitted.

"It sounded like glass smashing..." Gumball's ears lowered as he began to worry. "You...you don't think that..."

"Someone's breaking in?!" Darwin caught onto his train of thought.

"No, it was a...a plate that uh...got blown off the side by a gust of wind..." Anais tried to make an excuse, though the uncertain tone of her voice alongside her ears lowering and her beginning to shake slightly made it obvious she didn't really believe it.

"OW!" They suddenly heard a muffled female voice cry in pain from downstairs, confirming their fears. Someone was inside their house.

"Oh my God, s-someone's inside our house. What...w-what do we do?!" Anais began to shake even more, now genuinely terrified.

"I d-don't know! I'm scared!" Darwin let out a whimper, also terrified.

Gumball looked between the two shaking and tearing up and his ears lowered.

He felt his brotherly instincts begin to kick in as his thoughts raced.

Someone was in their house, probably trying to rob them, and they were home alone. He himself was just as terrified as his siblings, but they needed him right now more than ever.