The Noise

Suggested by NicStar11

3.5 Years Ago...

"You all comfortable now sweetie?" Richard smiled as he tucked little Anais into bed inside her cot. She'd had a long day playing with her brothers, watching cartoons with her Dad, and learning shapes and colors with her mother, which she had been told she was learning surprisingly fast. So much so that they'd briefly moved on to letters too.

And, after such a long and enjoyable day, she was naturally exhausted and so was being put to bed by her father.

She, however, would very much rather stay up.

"No!" The rabbit kit shook her head with a yawn. "I'm not tired!"

"You sound pretty tired to me, sweetheart!" The older rabbit chuckled.

"No, I'm super awake!" Anais denied. In an attempt to prove this, she rapidly shook her head and paws while making random silly noises. "See! I'm..." She paused to yawn again. "...fine!"

He crouched down, smiling assuredly as he took her paw through the bars of the cot. "Awwww, I know you wanna stay up sweetie but you're only a baby. You need your sleep so you can grow up big and strong." 

"Like Gumball and Darwin? They're big boys!" She exclaimed excitedly.

 "Exactly! They grew into big boys by going to bed on time and getting at least 8 hours of sleep, and so do you if you want to grow up into a big girl. You do want to be a big girl, right?"

"Yeah! I wanna be big and strong!" The younger rabbit nodded excitedly.

"Then you just lay down and close your eyes, alright?" He smiled.

"Mmm..." She paused, thinking about it. On the one hand, she really wanted to stay up and play more...but on the other, she really wanted to grow up and be like her brothers, and Daddy said that she needed to sleep if she wanted that to happen...

"...okay..." She reluctantly gave in and laid down, cuddling her doll. As her eyes drooped she looked up at her father. "Night-night Daddy...love you..." 

"I love you too sweetheart..." He smiled and kissed her on the forehead, before heading to the door.

He stopped and turned to the young rabbit kit, watching her as she began to doze off. He smiled, flicking off the light.

 "...sweet dreams..."

===========================================================================

Anais' brow furrowed, her face scrunching up in discomfort. She mumbled, turning around.

A couple of seconds later she turned around again, and then again as something seemed to be bothering her.

Finally, the rabbit sat up with a groan, looking around. What was the noise!?

She listened carefully, trying to pinpoint the source of the weird mumbling that had woken her up. She stopped, looking down. Was it...?

She rested her ear against the bottom of her cot, listening carefully. The noise grew slightly louder, confirming her suspicion. It was coming from downstairs...but what was it? 

The bunny looked down in consideration. Maybe she should go and investigate it? No, what if it was something scary? What if Mommy or Daddy saw her and got mad? She couldn't risk it!