The School

Just over one year ago...

With the summer holidays coming to an end, the new school year was now underway and students all around town were reluctantly getting ready for their first days in their new grades.

Starting a new grade was pretty daunting, and naturally, most people weren't looking forward to it. None more so than Anais Watterson.

Although only three years old, she was incredibly smart, so much so that her Mom had contacted the school board and managed to convince them to let her skip from kindergarten to eighth grade at Elmore Junior High, alongside her brothers who were beginning their first day in the seventh grade.

She was initially very keen on the idea and had been very excited to go to school with her big brothers and do something that was actually stimulating, rather than spend her days with kids who eat play dough and rub paint on their faces.

But now that she was actually in the car and on her way to her first day there she was beginning to feel more and more scared every second that passed. She, a three-year-old, would be amongst a ton of preteens and teenagers. She'd be defenseless and powerless against them. She'd be an easy target for them.

She hugged her Daisy doll, which she had refused to leave behind despite her brothers insisting that it was a bad idea to bring her. She didn't care if it was a bad idea, she needed Daisy for comfort. She couldn't do this without her.

Darwin noticed how scared she look and placed a comforting fin on her paw. "You okay sis?"

"Yeah, j-just...a little scared..." She admitted.

"Aww. it's okay, you're gonna be fine."

"Yeah, you have nothing to worry about! Well, except for Daisy. If they see you with her they'll take her away from you and never give her back" Gumball teased her.

Her eyes widened and she let out a small gasp whilst hugging Daisy even tighter. "W-what!? N-no, they can't!"

A grin slowly formed on his face as he leaned in and gave her a hug, affectionately rubbing the back of her head. "Awww, I'm only winding you up!  Seriously, you have nothing to worry about. You're gonna have a great time, honest."

"You p-promise?" She sniffed again, as she looked up at him, her eyes filled with worry.

He placed his paw on her shoulder and gave her a more stern, reassuring look. "I promise."

Before she could respond their car came to a stop outside the school. Gumball and Darwin exited the car, followed by their mother, leaving only Anais who was staring out of the window, terrified at the daunting sight before her.

This new school was so much bigger than her old one....what if she got lost...and there were so many kids here, way more than at kindergarten. Not to mention how much bigger they all were. Right now, she felt like a mouse compared to everyone else...

"Come on Anais, we're here sweetie." Nicole called out, noticing that she was still inside the car.

As she began to shake Anais hesitantly placed her paw on the door handle and opened the door. She stepped out and shut the door behind her before slowly making her around the car towards the others. As she did she felt herself trembling more and more, her eyes locked on the school in front of her.

As she reached the other side of the car she found herself freezing up, trembling in fear, and unable to move any further. She felt her lip wavering and she panicked and looked around, unsure of what to do.