3. What If (Hangman - Jake Seresin)

(Published July 15, 2022) 

   "Kelsey!"
   Sighing, I looked up from the book in my grasp.  I knew who it was before I even saw him, though.  The ever confident, slightly endearing, never takes no for an answer Hangman.  While part of me wanted to have a huge crush on him, the other half knew what a player he was.  Still, he had noticed me, and it sure looked like he wasn't about to let me turn him down.
   "Hi." I greeted with a small smile.  "What are you doing down here?"
   His confident pace came to a stop in front of me.  "Looking for you."  
   "How'd you know I'd be here?" I inquired, honestly curious.  I liked to hide in the public park because so few people came here, save the occasional birthday party or family reunion.  It was extremely rare to see any pilots in the area, though, so I knew this wasn't just a coincidence.  
   "You mentioned that you liked to hang out here once." He grinned at me.  "This wasn't the first place I looked, but it was worth a shot.  And here you are!"
   "And here you are," I shook my head with a small laugh.  "My only question now is why."
   He gestured to the empty bench seat beside me, and I nodded, scooting over a little.  Dropping onto the seat, he threw one arm over the back of the bench, very near to being around my shoulders.  I sat up a little straighter, trying to avoid what he was trying to do. 
   "I like your company," He stated, his eyes exploring the park before us.  "You're a sweet girl, Kel."
   I blushed, dropping my face into the palms of my hands. 
   "What?" He chuckled.  "C'mon, you know you like me, too."
   I simply shook my head, face still covered.  Pilots didn't like sweet girls, I reminded myself.  Especially pilots like Hangman!  He had to be playing me...  Right?
   Still, my heart did a flip floppy thing and the blush remained on my cheeks.
   "Don't deny it," He objected cheerfully. 
   Gently, he took hold of my wrists and removed my hands so he could see me.  I playfully turned my head away, giving him a great view of my ponytail.  Laughter bubbled inside of me, but I tried to keep it in. 
   "Kelsey." His voice became husky as he murmured my name.  I squeezed my eyes shut as my stomach erupted with butterflies. 
   "No!" I squeaked, shaking my head again.
   "Alright, here I come!"
   Suddenly, one of his large hands took hold of both my wrists!  His other strong arm snaked around my shoulders as he moved to sit as close to me as he could.  His scent was a mix of the military uniforms and his preferred cologne, and it was just as welcoming to me as his embrace was.  But the most mind boggling part was when his lips brushed my ear as he pulled me even closer. 
   "Why won't you just admit it to yourself?" He murmured.
   His thumb gently stroked my wrists, sending a shiver down my spine.  He new exactly what he was doing, I warned myself.  And it felt so right!
   "Because you're a player," I whispered.
   "Not always."
   "But you are."
   "Would it hurt to give me a chance?"
   I hesitated, not entirely sure that it would.  "But what if it did?"
   He fell silent at that.  To my surprise, I think he realized what I meant.  Which I had not expected from him!
   "What if we were meant to be together?" He started slowly, his voice lacking it's usual confident note.  "What if I could make you happy?  What if you miss out on years of good times because these worries?"
   "What if I'm saving myself from a heart ache?" I mumbled, finally looking up at him. 
   I could see that he understood where I was coming from by the look in his eyes.  From past experience, though, I knew he wasn't going to give up.  He gave me a small grin as his hand gently cupped my chin. 
   "What if I kissed those worries away?"
   I couldn't help but laugh at that.  "You can't be that good of a kisser!  It takes more than a good smooch to hinder my judgement."
   His iconic smirk appeared and he raised an eyebrow at me.  "Shall we test that?"
   "No!  Uncle, uncle," I cried, laughing as I tried to free myself from his grasp. 
   He burst into a fit of laughter as I managed to free my hands.  However, his now free arm instantly wrapped around my waist, trapping me.  I still squirmed, pretending to try to get away.  It was a lost cause, though, and we both knew it. 
  Just like trying to keep him out of my heart was. 
   I gave up, dramatically dropping my arms.  I knew my uncontrollable smile gave me away, though. 
   "There is no escape," He said lowly, the confident note returning to his voice. 
   I pretended to think a minute before sitting up straight and turning to look at him.  His gaze held mine.  The smirk never wavered, and my heart sped up at the thought of his lips on my own.  Sadly, my eyes strayed to his lips before quickly returning to his eyes again.  He caught my slip up, though, and it was too late. 
   "Well damn," I muttered. 
   And with that, my arms wrapped around his neck and he placed his lips on my own!