25. Perfect Moment (Payback - Rueben Fitch)

(Published June 23, 2023) 

   Sneaking up behind Rueben, I gently wrapped my arms around his shoulders, making him jump slightly in surprise.
   "Hi!" He chuckled.
   "Hi!" I replied, hugging him tightly.
   "You're too cute." He shook his head with a grin, bringing one of his hands to clasp my own.
   I wrinkled my nose, feeling a blush begin to creep up my cheeks. "No."
   He laughed, spinning around and breaking my hug, only to grab my waist and pull me close to him again. I slid my arms around his neck, gazing into his sparkling eyes, an uncontrollable smile forming on my lips. He had this way of affecting me, right down to my toes, and I loved it! His smile suddenly softened, and he gave me one more tug closer to him, a familiar look of adoration in his gaze.
   Slowly, he leaned in and began softly kissing me. I happily kissed him back, kind of melting into his embrace. After a moment, he began kissing me a little more roughly, and I couldn't help but smile into the kiss. Too soon, he pulled away, and I was left wanting more. Instead, I simply hugged him tightly, breathing in his scent. He hugged me back, his hand gently rubbing over my back.
   "You're beautiful." He whispered in my ear.
   "And you're adorable." I whispered back.
   He hugged me tighter. "You're mine."
   I rested my head on his shoulder and grinned. "Good! That means I can fall asleep now."
   He just laughed and began rocking us slightly, side to side.
   At that very moment, I realized just how perfect a handful of minutes could be. I wouldn't trade this moment for all the money in the world; it was too precious to me! As I tucked it away into my heart, I pressed a light kiss to his shoulder, and he copied me, kissing my shoulder as well.
   "I love you." He murmured, still caressing my back.
   "And I love you." I replied quietly, beaming widely.