47. Egotistical Rivals (Hangman - Jake Seresin) Requested

(Published April 19, 2024) 

   "How was training today?" 
   Dad (Pete Mitchell, aka Maverick) sat down at the table with a small groan.  "Was I that cocky as a kid?" 
   "Still are when it comes to the Navy," I teased as I set two plates of spaghetti on the table in front of our designated spots.  I sat down to his left, eager to dig into the supper we had cooked up together.  "Why, they giving you a hard time?" 
   "There's always one.  On top of his ego, he's got a rival of sorts in the group who's easily set off, which just encourages him to be mouthy.  I might have to start bringing Duck Tape to class." 
   I chuckled, knowing exactly who he was referring to.  Jake Seresin, call sign Hangman, who just happened to be my boyfriend of three months now.  He would know all the right ways to irk my dad, as well as poor Rooster.  And with his expressive eyebrows, I knew Duck Tape wouldn't fix anything.  I popped a meatball in my mouth, trying to suppress my smile.  
   "I don't know if I can trust any of these kids to fly the mission.  Half of them don't focus, and the other half are too focused.  Somebody's going to get hurt." He continued, staring off into space.  He twirled his fork around the noodles, but wasn't eating any.  
   I swallowed the bite in my mouth.  "You've got time to get them ready.  Just keep working on them.  I'm sure they'll come through in the end." 
   "Yeah," He finally turned his attention to his food.  "If they don't kill each other first.  That Hangman kid is really testing everyone's patience."  
   "Sounds about right," I shook my head with a grin.  
   "What?" 
   I looked up to see my dad's pale eyes staring at me.  "Just the way you keep talking about him.  If he's causing trouble for the group, they've all got to be irritated with him." 
   "No, I know that smile," He leaned back in his chair with a frown.  "That's you're 'I've got a secret that's relevant to this conversation' smile." 
   "I have a smile like that?" My heart hammered a little, hoping he wasn't putting the pieces together.  There was a reason I didn't tell my dad about my current boyfriend yet.  Mostly because the two of them weren't really getting along very well!  
   "Are you an Hangman dating?" 
   Dropping my fork and crossing my arms, I put on the same frown he was wearing.  I definitely took after my dad in many ways, and my frown was one of them.  "Now why would you make an accusation like that?" 
   "Just answer the question." 
   I watched him for a minute, trying to think up a clever way to get out of answering the question without lying.  None came.  "And if I am?" 
   "You really expect me to condone a relationship like that?" 
   "No, but it's kind of my choice."  
   "I expected you to choose better.  He's an ass." 
   "He's no worse than you were at that age, Dad.  I've heard the stories." 
   "You're supposed to get someone better than me." 
   "I think studies say that girls usually go for guys who remind them of their dads." 
   "That's not an excuse." 
   "Well, how 'bout the fact that he makes me happy?" 
   "Does he?" 
   "Yes." 
   "That doesn't excuse his character." 
   "Damn it, Dad, you've only known him for a few days!" 
   "He threw me out of a bar." 
   I couldn't argue with that one.  "All pilots are jerks to an extent." 
   "You're not going to break up with him, are you?" 
   "Nope." 
   "Maybe I'll let Rooster punch him..." 
   "He could try." 
   "Hey, Rooster could take him." 
   "I highly doubt it." 
   "Alright, you two, I can't listen to any more." 
   I spun around in my chair with wide eyes as Jake appeared in the kitchen doorway with a large smirk on his face.  I shot a glance at Dad, who was now smirking as well.  Glares were shot to each of them as I stood up with my arms crossed.  
   "Somebody better explain this before I throw a meatball at each one of you," I stated, unamused.  
   "Hangman approached me in class to apologize for the bar incident.  Once he knew who I was, he didn't really want to be on my bad side.  Guess he likes you too much to lose you," Dad explained.  
   "So you decided to have a fake argument with me about the relationship in front of him?" I was so very confused.  
   "Kind of," Jake shrugged.  "It was his idea.  He wanted to mess with you for keeping it a secret.  Plus, I think he felt better about the whole thing after he easily killed me in training."  
   "And I wouldn't call it a fake argument.  I still don't think he's good enough for you," Dad stated.  
   I shook my head, turning to walk back over to the stove.  There was some left over spaghetti, so I whipped up another plate as well as a glass of water and brought it over to the table.  Setting it to the spot on Dad's right, I glanced up at Jake.  He nodded 'thank you' before taking the seat, keeping an eye on his instructor.  
   "Does this mean he's allowed to hang out with us on days off?" I asked, returning to my seat and my now lukewarm pasta.  
   "Does he have to?" Dad grimaced.  
   "With all due respect, sir-" 
   I cut my boyfriend off, grinning.  "Yes, yes he does.  And thank you, for not getting too upset about it." 
   Dad just grunted, turning his attention to his meal.  I sent Jake a halfhearted glare along with a small smile to let him know I wasn't mad either.  He just smirked at me with another small shrug.  Then, we both dug into our own plates.  
   What a weird first supper with Dad and Jake!