7. Nightmare (Hangman - Jake Seresin)

(Published July 24, 2022)

   The radio crackled as he listened intently.  He was seated in a room at Top Gun by himself, strangely enough, and he could hear commands as several pilots ran a practice mission.  It sounded easy enough, boring, even.  So why was he listening to it?
   "Alright, you guys are doing great!  Not bad for never having flown before!" Maverick's voice crackled with the static. 
   'Never having flown before?' He thought.  'What the hell was this?'
   "Thanks, Captain.  It's easier than I thought!"
   He sat bolt upright in his chair.  That was Krista's voice!  But she wasn't a pilot.  She shouldn't be in a jet!
   'Never having flown before.'
   "Let's head back to the runway, kids.  And remember what I told you about landing!"
   Landing?  He was on his feet and out the door in an instant.  The door had opened to the runway, which was impossible, but he was so worried that it didn't process.  Shading his eyes with his hand, he could see the jets coming closer. 
   "You first, Risky."
   "No," He almost choked on the words.  Risky was his nickname for Krista.  The woman he loved was about to land a jet by herself!  Without thinking, he began to run down the runway. 
   "Alright, gents, going in for a landing!"
   Running as fast as his legs would take him, he sprinted down the runway.  Her jet flew over his head, wobbling as it flew way too speedily towards the concrete.  She could've made the landing, though...
   Except an enemy plane flew over top of her.  It turned and headed straight back in her direction.  Maverick and someone else started shouting over the coms, but he couldn't say a word.  Watching with disbelieving eyes, he saw the enemy shoot her jet right down the middle.  The jet malfunctioned and it crashed into the ground before blowing up. 
   "This isn't real." He fell to his knees, tears stinging his eyes even as he spoke the words.  "This isn't real.  Wake up, Jake."
   "You know its a dangerous job, Hangman.  Anything could happen at any time." Maverick suddenly was beside him, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.  "To her... but also to you."

::::::::::

   I snapped awake and jumped as I heard my ringtone blasting through the room.  Wincing, I hurried to grab it and answer the call before it woke someone else in the building up.  Not even glancing at the caller I.D., I hit the answer button to stop the loud music of my ringtone.
   "Hello?"
   "Krista, I'm outside your door.  Can I come in?"
   It was Jake!  Glancing at my alarm clock and finding it reading three in the morning, I frowned in confusion.  Still, I made my way to the door, unlocked it, and opened it to find a version of my boyfriend I had never seen before.  His cheeks showed hints of tearstains, his shirt and shorts were wrinkled like he had slept in them, and there wasn't a trace of a smirk to be seen.  He looked downright miserable!
   Before I could say anything or even move to let him in, his arms enveloped me.  He pulled me into a tight hug, burying his face in my hair. Surprised, I slowly hugged him back, racking my brain for what could've happened.  It was still too asleep to come up with a realistic scenario.  He hugged me for a good long minute, though, breathing in deep breaths through my hair.  
  Carefully, I pulled him into my small apartment and closed the door behind us.  "Jake, what's wrong?" 
   He just shook his head, pulling away to look down at me.  After what seemed like minutes, he answered.  "Nightmare." 
   This time, I pulled him into a hug.  After what he dealt with up in the sky, I couldn't imagine the crappy dreams he had to put up with.  He hugged back, his grip less desperate this time.  Trying to comfort him, I gently stroked the back of his neck, letting my fingers play in the ends of his hair.  
   "Do you want to talk about it?" I whispered.  
   "Not yet." 
   "Okay.  Wanna sit on the couch and watch a movie or something?" 
   He pulled back and looked me in the eye.  "I know you're going to take this the wrong way...  But can we lay on your bed together?  I promise I'll be good.  Cross my heart, pinky promise, whatever it takes." 
   I sighed, a grin sliding onto my face.  The persistent pilot had been trying to take me to bed since I met him, but since we were still pretty new to the relationship, I had been holding off.  I didn't want to be one of his 'sleep with and ditch' girls.  Still...  He wasn't faking what he was feeling, and I was beginning to trust him more.  After a moment of hesitation, I nodded.  
   "Just this once, Seresin.  Any funny business, and you're out of here," I warned him.  
   His smile was soft, which was very unusual for him.  "Yes ma'am." 
   I grabbed his hand and led him to my small bedroom.  The mattress was only a twin, but he climbed on it first, his back pressed against the wall as he made room for me.  I gazed down at him with a fond smile, unable to keep the thought away that he looked good in my bed.  Shaking the thoughts from my brain, I sank onto the bed as well.  I positioned myself so I was facing him, though, and there was a good six inches between us.  I kept waiting for that smirk to show itself, but it didn't.  He simply grabbed my hand with his and gazed at my face.  
   "You're staring at me," I whispered in the dimly lit room.  
   "You're staring back," He countered.  
   "Can't help it," I stifled a yawn.  "You're quite good looking, you know." 
   "I know.  Not quite as good lookin' as you, though." 
   "You must need your eyes checked." 
   "I don't need clear eyesight to see your beauty.  It's blinding, anyway." 
   I threw back my head and laughed.  "You're such a flirt!" 
   "It's true, though.  I can't think straight when you get all dressed up." He murmured, his tone completely serious.  
   I paused for a moment, surprised at his words.  He didn't usually talk serious like this, not without his arrogance as a buffer to fall back on.  This made me curious about his dream again.  Did one of us die?  Did he get captured?  What had happened in his subconscious to make him talk this way.  
   "Maybe I should dress up more often, then," I teased softly.  
   "I'm going to take you to supper Saturday." His hand left mine to run his fingertips down the side of my face.  "Somewhere nice.  You deserve to go somewhere nice." 
   "Jake," I began, but he cut me off.  
   "Don't tell me you don't deserve it.  You deserve more than any other girl I've ever been with.  You've been nothing but sweet to me despite my arrogance, you're always waiting with open arms when I get back from a mission, and you even put up with me when I go too far.  I...  I've never met anyone like you, Krista." 
   To say I was shocked was an understatement.  Before I could stop myself, I blurted out,  "Jake, are you okay?" 
   Thankfully, he laughed.  It wasn't his normal laugh, but it was a laugh.  "That's not really a good way to respond to something like that." 
   "I'm sorry, I just..." I trailed off, trying to make sense of his words and my thoughts. 
   "I know, I'm not a serious guy," He stated, closing his eyes for a long moment.  "But I guess I realized how hard it is for you to sit here, waiting for me to return and not knowing the outcome.  Whether I'll walk through the door, or if I'll be shipped back in a coffin.  I just want you to...  To feel appreciated.  Because you are.  I appreciate you more than I can express to you."
   I smiled, grabbing his hand with mine again.  "You do show it, Jake.  That's why I'm still your girl."
   He leaned forward and pecked my lips a few times, making me laugh. 
   "Let's keep it that way," He murmured, still leaning close to me. 
   I took a turn and pecked his lips.  Then, I flopped down on the mattress and pulled the blanket over my body.  He chuckled, laying down beside me.  I tossed half of the blanket over him before snuggling down into the mattress.  My tired brain wanted nothing more than to fall back asleep. 
   After settling down next to me, my handsome boyfriend tossed his arm over me.  It was a casual gesture and I was also too tired to object.  Besides, his warmth and strength already had my mind moving into a peaceful state.  It was something I'd never experienced before, since I had never let guy in my bedroom until now.  I just hoped he wouldn't ruin this. 
   "Dream good dreams," I murmured, my sleepy mouth slurring the words together. 
   "You, too, sweetheart," He whispered.  "Thank you."