10. History (Rooster - Bradley Bradshaw)

(Published August 1, 2022)

   "Well well, what have we here?"
   A cocky voice broke through the typical bar noise I had managed to tune out.  I glanced up from the pool table I had been focused on to find a handful of pilots invading.  Straightening up, I prepared to abandon my game.  It wasn't because I was afraid of them or thought I owed them for their service in the Navy.  Young Navy pilots just weren't my kind of people. 
   "Mind if we join in the next round?"
   That voice belonged to a tall, very handsome blond.  One look at his smirk told me he knew that he was good looking.  To avoid adding to his ego, I let my gaze casually slide off of him to scan the rest of the group.  None of the faces jumped out at me, though, and I let my eyes refocus on my half-played game.  It wasn't even looking terribly good, so I wasn't sad to leave it. 
   "It's all yours, actually," I stated with a polite smile and a nod. 
   The pilots protested in unison, all insisting I could finish.  I simply shook my head and walked towards the bar as quickly as I could without appearing as if I was running.  I heard some of them giving the blond a hard time, complaining that he had chased me away.  I just smiled to myself as I settled onto a bar stool.  I knew they weren't too broken up about it, just surprised. 
   "What'll it be, honey?" Penny asked, leaning on the counter in front of me. 
   "A sprite would be great," I requested.
   "No problem.  The boys scare you off?" She asked, glancing over at the pilots around the pool table. 
   "No, they offered to play with me." I shrugged, not concerned. 
   "They're not bad kids," Penny said softly. 
   "I know, but you've seen me play pool!"
   She let out a soft laugh.  "You could use some help.  I'll grab your drink."
   "Thanks, Penny," I called as she walked away. 
   Almost as soon as Penny walked away to get my drink, someone approached the bar beside me.  "Mind if I sit here?"
   I looked up from the bar top to find a mustached young man standing beside me, his dark eyes meeting mine instantly.  He was wearing a royal blue and white Hawaiian shirt unbuttoned over a darker blue t-shirt that clung to his body.  Jeans and aviators completed his look.  While not Ken-doll ridiculously handsome, he was quite good looking.  I shook my head in answer to his question, and he sank down on the stool beside me. 
   "Hey Bradley, what's going on your tab tonight?" Penny suddenly appeared in front of us, setting my Sprite on the counter in front of me.  She gave the guy beside me a fond smiling, making me curious about who he was. 
   "You know what I like," He joked. 
   "You got it."
   Penny turned around more slowly than usual, giving me a wink as she did.  I raised my eyebrows, but she had already turned away.  Smiling to myself again, I took a sip of my drink.  As I did so, I snuck a glance at Bradley.  He was turned towards me slightly on the stool, like he was wanting to start a conversation.  Hoping to make things less awkward, I brushed my hair back from my cheek and gave him a smile. 
   "Hi, I'm Sierra Metcalf," I introduced myself, holding out my hand to him.
   He shook my hand gently, smiling back.  "Bradley Bradshaw."
   I couldn't help it; my eyes widened and I took in a surprised breath.  "Bradshaw."
   He gave me a confused look, so I turned my gaze back to my drink.  No need to dredge up painful memories for him with my stupid reaction.  Just because I knew who he was didn't mean I had to ruin his evening.  I took another sip of my drink to compose myself.
   "You must be a regular here, if Penny knows your preferred drink." I commented, hopefully smoothing over my slip up.
   "When I'm in the area, I always stop by." He paused to thank Penny as she set a bottle on the bar in front of him.  "What about you?"
   "I'm just visiting."
   "Do you have family around here?"
   "Not anymore."
   "You did in the past, though?  A Top Gun graduate?"
   "Something like that," I figured I ought to at least ask if he was, though.  "Are you here for family?"
   "Nope," He said, popping the P.  "Just here for special training."
   "A pilot," I realized, feeling stupid for not assuming. 
   "Yeah, that's why I was curious.  If you had someone in Top Gun, I might've heard of them."
   He wasn't going to give it up.  So, I just chewed on the inside of my cheek, giving him a long glance.  I wasn't going to tell him, though.  He didn't need to know that my grandfather was Viper.  It never went well when people knew.  I was insanely proud of my grandpa and, once I knew the person was a good human, I was happy to share my family history!  But most people treated me differently when they knew.
   "Sorry, I didn't mean to go into all of that.  I actually came over here to apologize.  We didn't mean to hijack your game." He told me, gesturing to the crowded pool table with a tilt of his head. 
   "Oh, no worries," I exclaimed.  I hadn't expected this!  "That was my third game, so it was time for me to share."
   "Did you play all three by yourself?"
   "Yeah," I laughed softly.  "I'm not good enough to play with other people."
   "I doubt that," He objected before changing the topic.  "So you're here by yourself?"
   I nodded.  "Penny is a friend, though."
   "If you don't have family living here, why would you come alone?"
   He seemed honestly curious.  Looking up into his dark eyes, I found no tricks hidden there.  He stared back at me, making my heart speed up a little.  I hadn't been truly attracted to anyone in a while.  Part of me warned that he was just another cocky pilot while the other part wondered what it would be like to kiss him. 
   "To see the history here.  I like to learn things," I admitted quietly. 
   "Oh," He furrowed his brow as he gazed thoughtfully at me.  "So that's why you reacted at my last name.  You read about my dad."
   "No, not this trip.  My grandpa told me about Goose Bradshaw a long time ago." So much for avoiding those memories.  "If his was Goose, what's your call sign?"
   His mustache twitched as he fought a small smile.  "Rooster."
   "Rooster?  I don't even want to know how you got that name." I joked, giving him a grin to assure him I was kidding. 
   "Someone mentioned Gosling, but I didn't let that last long." He chuckled. 
   I laughed, too.  "Don't blame you."
   "So your grandpa flew with my dad?" He played with the bottle in front of him, trying to pretend like he didn't care. 
   "A time or two," I divulged quietly. 
   "What was his call sign?"
   I took a sip of my drink, stalling.  I couldn't think up a good excuse to get me out of this, though.  "Viper."
   Bradley's eyes got wide, and he grinned.  "Damn.  I heard Viper was one hell of a pilot."
   "He was that," I smiled, too, thinking of the crazy stories he told me many times over, at my persistent requests.  "He told me that Goose was one of the most respectable RIOs he's ever known.  And gutsy, for flying with Maverick."
   His smile was faint and his eyes stared down at the bar top.  He didn't say anything, and I figured I'd said enough on the topic, if not too much.  It had all been true, though.  Still, I turned in my seat to face the bar again and took a long pull of my drink.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him do the same. 
   Then, the young pilot got to his feet.  "It was nice to meet you, Sierra.  And thanks.  I- It's really nice to hear stuff like that about him."
   I gave him a small smile and a quick nod.  "You're welcome.  I'm glad you ventured over here."
   "Well," His eyes brightened at my last sentence.  "Would you mind if I join you again sometime?"
   I shook my head.  "I wouldn't mind at all."
   "I'll see you soon, then."
   And with a grin, he began strutting back towards his friends at the pool tables. 
   "Well," Penny suddenly appeared in front of my spot at the bar.  "Looks like you caught someone's eye!"
   "Why, is he single?" I joked.
   "Very.  And I never see him take women home, so I bet he's waiting for 'the one'." She winked at me. 
   I rolled my eyes playfully.  "Penny, you and that romantic imagination of yours!"
   "Admit it, he's a catch!"
   "If he's anything like the stories I've heard about his dad, then I agree whole heartedly."
   I turned my head to peek at him.  He had his back to me as he laughed with some of the pilots watching the game. 
   "Can I borrow your pen?" I asked, turning back to face her. 
   Smirking, she obliged.  Taking the red ink pen, I carefully scratched my phone number and first name on a nearby napkin.  Then, I pushed it over next to his half empty bottle and handed her pen back. 
   "You're not going to give it to him?" Penny asked, raising an eyebrow. 
   "If I know you, you'll make sure he gets it." I stood and placed a couple bills on the counter for my drink.  "Besides, I don't want to seem too interested."
   "Too late," She teased. 
   Laughing, I waved to her.  "See you around."
   As I reached the door, I risked a glance back at the pool tables.  Bradley was searching the bar with an urgent gaze.  When he spotted me, though, he raised a hand in a wave and smiled.  I waved back happily. 
   Yep, I was definitely looking forward to spending time with young Bradshaw!